What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinguiculas in terrarium

Hiya..... im buying a P.agnata, can i have she in the terrarium year round!, with out sleep?, or it need sleep?, wich pinguiculas dont need sleep?. Thanks in avance.

mexican pings do not which is what you have. its leaves may get smaller in the winter but other than that it will grow year round

I don't think cold dormancy is required as P. agnata is from Central America. It probably shouldn't be in a terrarium, though; Pings don't generally need the high humidity that terrariums provide. They do just fine in household conditions with bright light. Even though this Ping doesn't need a cold dormancy, it may still need to experience a winter season with shorter days (and maybe slightly less water.)
Good luck!
~Joe

I almost lost all of my Mex. Pinguicula growing them in a terrarium. All picked right up once I moved them to an open air environment.

oh my god, so pings and terrariums not should be mixed??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Jan. 26 2006,8:58)]oh my god, so pings and terrariums not should be mixed??
It can be done but since this is a Mexican ping that you are trying to grow in Mexico, I'd think you be able to grow it with the tray method with out a problem.

eek!! thats why i lost my piroutte then.... i thought it was just shipping trauma as when it arrived it was up rooted with all but one leaf detached..
smile_h_32.gif

umm, im a litle confused and scared, so a terrarium kill pinguiculas?, here in torreon cold is cold, i mean cold, but in my room is 40% humidity and 60f all day in night 56f and 60% humidity i tink my aquariums help maintain humudity hight.

Terraria cultivation of CP's, in general, require some sophistication and balance between humidity and circulation. They may look more attractive / aesthetic, but have more variables. Humidity is over-rated, relative to adequate circulation and lighting.

Humidity isn't important to most of the Pinguicula you will be able to grow, Windplant. The humidity in your home sounds OK for most carnivorous plants. It does sound kind of cold - is 56-60f your winter temperatures or is that the climate in all seasons? In any case, 56-60f isn't too cold for most Pings, even if it is a little cold for people. You should reserve the space in your terrarium for things that need the heat and humidity, like Nepenthes, and just keep your Pings under a light. Growing Pings in a terrarium will just make things harder.
~Joe

ImWindPlant, Jimscott and seedjar pretty well covered it. Don't worry about your temps and humidity for your pings. I grow mine on a window sill. The temps are between 65°f and 74°F during the winter and the humidity right now is all the way uo to 41%. It's usually about 36%. My mexican pings don't mind it at all.
63084844O852448087.jpg

P. moranensis - Huatla x P. ehlersiae

Hiya..im very scared.. i recibe mi plants.. they are less than 1" the droseras are only 5mm or less, the ping come w the root sistem out, they are like a 1cm, mmm im very scared i dont know what to do... how i make them all suvirve!!, the cephalotus root was discovered too, y just move the peat arround the roots, Please tell me what to do, the temperature is like this just in winter, the humidyty get up 98%, im working in low it, i port in other post the list of the plants, any help, me and my plants will apreciate it.

Back