What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pinguicula species

may be you know some common mexican species and some horticol hybrids but the others ( for instant)

mexican

50-60 taxons

andine

6 taxons

cuban-caraibe

14 taxons

subtropical US

6 taxons

temperate

40-50 taxons

may be we could talk about them from time to time(growing 'ex situ', meeting 'in situ' , etc) , what do you think of it ?

jeff

subtropical US:

P. planifolia
P. caerulea
P. lutea
P. pumilla
P. ionatha
P. primulifolia

This right?

write P.pumila ,P.ionantha , P.primuliflora

Yes, with may be on these species some form or variety (often on the color morphological caracters) , like P.pumila var buswellii ( yellow) ; P.caerulea var leucantha ( white) or P.lutea f alba ( white) , perhaps on the others species also (must be sought 'in situ' ).

if you have some picture of these form or variety 'in situ' I am taker

jeff

Yes, I was afraid my memory did not hold the correct spellings :blush:

I have never seen any CP "in situ", which I suppose means in habitat. Unfortunately I have no photos to share. I only have plants in my collection to photograph. San Diego is a long way from most CP sites.

may be we could talk about them from time to time(growing 'ex situ', meeting 'in situ' , etc) , what do you think of it ?

It's not my thing to travel the world and visit Pinguicula "in situ".

But I'm always ready when it comes to talk about growing "ex situ" of cold-temperate Pinguicula.

With Mexican species I'm not very experienced, I only have two hybrid species ("Weser/Sethos", "Tina"), so I perhaps cannot contribute much to Mexican hybrids or species.

With a very few of hardy Ping species I'm really experienced, such like P. macroceras ssp. nortensis that I already showed in this forum. If anybody likes to know or discuss things about cultivation "ex situ" of hardy Ping species, perhaps I can contribute something. My best growing results with hardy species are with P. macroceras and P. grandiflora, but I'm trying to cultivate others in small numbers as well.

Currently I'm observing how very little changes in cultivation conditions lead to very big changes during the course of the year with P. grandiflora. I'm really cultivating the same batch of P. grandiflora only a few steps away in my garden under slightly different cultivation conditions, and some plants just are finishing the creation of their winter bulbs, while others will (most likely) stand another 6 to 8 weeks on their summer leaves, with just little variation of cultivation. I'd predict, that the "late bulb" P. grandiflora will create stronger, bigger and more divided winter bulbs and masses of gemmae in next winter compared with the "early bulb" ones, but I'll see when winter is over.

If there is a visible difference in development of "early bulb" and "late bulb" P. grandiflora next season, I will have a bit more information about best gardening practice to cultivate and propagate P. grandiflora, and most likely this will also help me to improve my skills in Ping cultivation with other hardy Pinguicula, that I am yet growing in very few numbers only until now.

Currently I'm observing how very little changes in cultivation conditions lead to very big changes during the course of the year with P. grandiflora. I'm really cultivating the same batch of P. grandiflora only a few steps away in my garden under slightly different cultivation conditions, and some plants just are finishing the creation of their winter bulbs, while others will (most likely) stand another 6 to 8 weeks on their summer leaves, with just little variation of cultivation. I'd predict, that the "late bulb" P. grandiflora will create stronger, bigger and more divided winter bulbs and masses of gemmae in next winter compared with the "early bulb" ones, but I'll see when winter is over.

Jesse, what are you currently doing to allow extra growth in your temperate pings? Most of mine have already gone dormant, or are in the process of it, and all of them will probably have winter hibernacula in the next couple of weeks. I have them outside under normal conditions in Vancouver, BC. They get full sun from sunrise until about noon, and then bright shade. They never get warmer than 27 degrees celsius, but the humidity ranges quite a bit.

suite

JESSE you grow what grandiflora species the type ?

because some others grandiflora exist I grow all

grandiflora subsp grandiflora (type)
grandiflora subsp rosea (pink)
grandiflora subsp grandiflora f pallida ( pale blue)
grandiflora subsp grandiflora var chionopetra( white)

and may be a new, actualy in study , grandiflora subsp grandiflora var asturiensis

all these one have not the same substrate .

actually all my temperate species are in hibernaculae ( except 2-3 who do not) , most stays outdoor all year and yours ?

jeff

Jesse, what are you currently doing to allow extra growth in your temperate pings? Most of mine have already gone dormant, or are in the process of it, and all of them will probably have winter hibernacula in the next couple of weeks.

I am doing nothing special targeted to "allow extra growth", I am just a little bit "testing and observing". Testing a little variation in cultivation and observing what happens to the cultivated plants. So I can find out what are the best cultivation conditions for a given species.

With P. grandiflora I did this testing: Potted cultivation in a pot vs. planted cultivation in a mini-bog.

What did I use: P. grandiflora, grown from seed and kept all together until March 2011. Substrate:peat.

Potted cultivation: Free standing pot, half-shady, some more hours of sun as with the mini-bog plants since March 2011.

Planted cultivation: Mini-bog dug-in and ground-even, mostly shaded and very little sun since March 2011.

And this is my current observation of today:

P_grandiflora_20110823.jpg

The potted plants have already created their winter bulbs or are mostly finished with it while the mini-bog plants are green and growing without any sign of bulb creation.

Until three weeks ago there was no visible difference between the mini-bog and the potted plants (OK, perhaps the mini-bog plants were a bit darker green leaves), but all growing strong. Then the potted plants started to develop their winter bulbs and the mini-bog plants did not.

I'm wondering what may cause the difference. In my thinking I imagine P. grandiflora in it's summer leaves as clock that ticks. And the clock is ticking quicker when the plant get more sun and heat, it is ticking slower in the shade and cooler environment. And when the internal "Pinguicula clock time display" has reaced a certain time, the plant is forming its winter bulb.

BTW: For a comparison I did the same with P. macroceras ssp. nortensis at the same time. P. macroceras does NOT show the same results as P. grandiflora, but with P. macroceras ssp. nortensis the potted plants are in summer leaves as the mini-bog plants are also until today.

But I'm doing further observations on it.

JESSE you grow what grandiflora species the type ?

I have received the seeds as simply P. grandiflora.
So it should be P. grandiflora var. grandiflora, the typical ones.

Flowers look like:
Pinguicula_grandiflora_2Clones.jpg

Initially I was able to grow three plants from seed that I received from a grower, and after that those three were propagated by winter bulbs/gemmae only, so it should be three genetical different clones in my P. grandiflora stock. I imagine that I am able to distinguish my three clones by their flowers, in the picture above there are flowers of two of my P. grandiflora clones. I think the flowers look a little bit different, although they are grown from the same batch of seeds.

grandiflora subsp grandiflora (type)
grandiflora subsp rosea (pink)
grandiflora subsp grandiflora f pallida ( pale blue)
grandiflora subsp grandiflora var chionopetra( white)

and may be a new, actualy in study , grandiflora subsp grandiflora var asturiensis

all these one have not the same substrate .

Please tell me more about the preferred substrate, as I like to extend my hardy Ping collection if I can obtain seeds or gemmae. Currently I cultivate P. grandiflora in cheap pure peat. Although it was declared blonde peat I think it's more a mix of blonde and black peat, and P. grandiflora is doing well (P. macroceras also).

actually all my temperate species are in hibernaculae ( except 2-3 who do not) , most stays outdoor all year and yours ?

All my hardy Pinguicula are always outdoors for the whole year. So I can only cultivate the cold-temperate and hardy Pinguicula species and not the warm-temperate species from Southern USA.

suite

for me the difference between your pot and your mini bog is just the substrate quantity ,a difference to peat pad ( inside-outside) , then also the humidity and the hygrometry but the real factor for the hibernaculae is the photo period .

it is a grandiflora subsp grandiflora ( type)

for this one she love a acid substrate then the peat is very very good ( for the others see here in "temperees europeenes et autres" my web site use the google modul for the translate ) you can see also before in the temperate rubric the habitats of each.

blond peat is a spagnum peat , black peat often a carex peat with a different characteristic

the south US ping are consider like subtropical species.

jeff

for me the difference between your pot and your mini bog is just the substrate quantity ,a difference to peat pad ( inside-outside) , then also the humidity and the hygrometry but the real factor for the hibernaculae is the photo period .

For me it's just my observation how to provide shorter or longer growing season in the same garden, same climate and same photoperiod with P. grandiflora, just by varying the cultivation method.

A longer growing season makes a big difference in propagation: With a relative short growing season, all the gemmae of last winter will stay mid-sized plants, not flowering next year. And with a relative long growing season, many gemmae of last winter have grown to flowering size plants within just one growing season.

So most likely I will purchase and dig another mini-bog into the ground for next season, to increase my stock of P. grandiflora to a flowering carpet one day.
:)

Back