What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks guys!

Jpappy, they're really easy!

A few other photos I took today with slightly higher quality.
6d7211a1.jpg

Better shot of P. jaumavensis
ef4e172b.jpg

2f9c64ad.jpg

ae37eadc.jpg

Just wanted to say that I love this thread. Love it. So hard. <3

Your Pings look outrageous. And it's awesome to see such a success story with propagating them since I fail so bad at it, lol.

haha wow thanks Kyle! Pings dont get the same appreciation neps do so Im glad to see there are others that like them as much as I do!

I am surprised to hear you have trouble propagating them, for me, they are one of the easiest things to do. If you have any questions fire away!

I think I've always just kept them too wet, they always rot after a couple weeks for me. I'm trying a method Mach recommended right now, and if I fail at that, I will definitely be trying this baggy+paper towel thing. And I'll definitely hit you up if it comes to that. Thanks!

Your collection itself is impressive!

Are there really any limitations to this method ie. are there any species not responsive to propagation via pullings?

Thanks jpappy.

So far Ive found they are all pretty easy. The only one Ive had any troubles with is gracilis, but I have still had some success. Ive also had some trouble keeping immaculata pullings alive once they strike, not sure what the problem is. I just took 10 more from my immaculata and I am going to try giving them more light and keeping them at ~100% humidity, but not wet until they get some decent size. I think they may dry out too fast because of their tiny size. The dormant leaves are similar in size to pygmy drosera gemmae.

Drew,

Have you ever noticed any difference in the number of plantlets and how quickly they appear if the pulling is made on moist media (LFS mixes or just moist inorganic media) versus dry media such as paper towels and such?

Thank you

I've never really thought about it, but don't think I have noticed any difference at all. I much prefer one plantlet per pulling as they grow much faster, and find if there are too many on one pulling they out compete themselves to death IME. Of course there are exceptions to this. P. moranensis type don't seem to care, and are very quick growers.

I'll chime in and also say that I've also found that if you get multiple plants on one pulling they don't do as well when you pull them off and plant them out. Even with single plants on one pulling, they seem to do much better if you leave them attached to the leaf when you plant them.

And the little compact pings and the ones with long thin leaves like gypsicola and medusina are harder to get established from leaf pullings.

Great looking plants!

Back