What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula primuliflora Seedling Flowering

While going through my seedlings a noticed an odd looking Pinguicula primuliflora seedling and on closer inspection I realized it was sending up a flower! The seedling is only 1/2 a centimeter in diameter too!

DSC_0001-39-1.jpg

DSC_0002-31.jpg

Has anyone else ever had this occur?

I will post an update if the flower opens.

My P. primuiflora used to flower all the time, plantlets especially.

Very cool. Only one millimeter? Wow.

I dont know what I was thinking when I said 1 millimeter, it is actaully 1/2 a centimeter.

Nice max, I've had this happen with a year old flytrap seedling, that died after flowering sadly lol. I gotta see that if it opens

For some reason I can't grow these. I had 4 earlier this year but all of them died. Strange. I grow Moranensis and Agnata just fine but these seem "tricky"!

Max: Seedling... as in from seeds... as opposed to a plantlet formed from a leaf?

Tommy: This species kinda enigmatic, not unlike D. adelae, even though you have a great handle on the sundew.

Jim - they are from seed, I think a flower on one of my plants was pollinated and the seed got spread around my collection because I have a bunch of these little guys popping up in neighbooring pots, and P. primuliflora is the only temperate ping I grow so I dont know what elsle it could be.

Are you sure this isn't a P. lusitanica hitchhiker from somewhere? Just asking.

Has it even bloomed yet Max?!?!?
i must see this!!!
i imagine it will bloom a little faster than an adult since the flower isnt going to be near as big lol?
anticipation!

Wooooow! 5mm across!!! That is insane! Please post more pics as it develops :)

I'm sure it's possible from seed, just not typical, from most of us who are getting our first plants from a "Lowes Cube Of Death". I can personally vouch for P. lusitanica spreading all over the place - in my D. capillaris and P. gypsicola, for instance. Those are as bad a U. subulata!

Well, it looks like flowering was to much for the little guy, unforunatly it died. It probably didnt have enough energy to support a flower as its only a seedling.

Hey Bob,

There is a chance it may be P. lusitanica, Brian Barnes also suggested that it could be P. pumila, I guess we will have to wait till the others grow up.

Back