What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula planifolia Double Flower

• Thread starter SubRosa
  • Start date

SubRosa

BS Bulldozer
Not as pronounced as on P. primulaflora 'Rose', but definitely a double flower on this one:

Attachments

• 20240407_090753.jpg
    20240407_090753.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 10
Anyone happen to know if ‘Rose‘ or other double flowers like this one are still reproductively useful? I’m curious since most of the time double flowers are sterile. The reason for this being that those extra petals are typically created from what would have been the plant’s reproductive organs. For example, in double flowered hibiscus, the extra pedals are typically created from the anthers, and sometimes even the stigma.

My 'Rose' are running late this year. The first buds are just starting to show pink. I'll dissect a flower and see what's in there. This flower looks pretty normal, besides the extra row of petals.

Nice! I've been very excited with my success with P. primulaflora from you with your advice. Let me know if you ever have an extra of this and Rose! ;)

'Gotta wonder if the double flower is going to be a stable trait? Has this plant, the planifolia, bloomed before?

Nice! I've been very excited with my success with P. primulaflora from you with your advice. Let me know if you ever have an extra of this and Rose! ;)
'Rose'? Yeah, I got 'Rose'...

Attachments

• 20240407_143943.jpg
    20240407_143943.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 5
'Gotta wonder if the double flower is going to be a stable trait? Has this plant, the planifolia, bloomed before?
I'm sure it has, it's one of my original plants, and they were all mature. It's not as dramatic as 'Rose', and I'm thinking I just missed it. There's a dead flower that could have been double, but it's not definitive. But there's one ready to open in the next couple days, and one more after that.

Back