What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula moranensis ssp. ???

I can't post picture on so I just have to describe in words.

I received them as Pinguicula moranensis ssp. (Mexican ping.) from Sarracenia Northwest.

- They have oval- shaped summer leaves, and they are ginormous.

- They have lilac-colored flowers with very sweet scent, with white throat. I tried to pollinate them but after pollination, they always died(Flower and stalk)

-They have very dense, pointy, numerous and small winter leaves, but now, they are forming little round-tipped leaves

-Winter rossett is about 5 inches in length

-SN said that they turn pink in color, but they never did even in very strong light for a long period of time

What could this be?

If you'll notice, they now sell P. X. 'Titan' with the same description as this 'unnamed' moranensis-group hybrid. I'm fairly certain they're one in the same, but if you write Jeff and Jacob at SNW they should be able to tell you for sure.
~Joe

I believe most of the variation betwen the subspecies is variations in the white throat of the flower, tho some have veination on the flower.

I would need a pic of the flower to be of any help. I have a feeling that is what others will say as well.

Most of the ssp. of this species have been lumped into one mega ssp. called neovolcanica (I think that was it at any rate, check Eric Partrat's site to be sure.)

Anyways, P. moranensis is kind of like U. subulata i.e. 8 billion different variations but they are still all the same thing. Best thing to do is just call it moranensis and forget the ssp. part as for the most it is moot. The only time I'd use a ssp. label is if the plant actually came with it.

Cheers

Minseo, can I label the P. moranensis from the cuttings you sent me as coming from Sarracenia Northwest?

Peter

Back