What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula moranensis roots?

I just decided to move my Pinguicula moranensis out of my "colony pot" and give the entire pot to Pygmy Drosera (after I got a TON of Gemmae). But, um...

How big are Pinguicula moranensis roots supposed to be? The little guy's root system was barely half an inch long, top to bottom. I damaged a leaf moving him, too, so I'm a bit worried.

Did his roots just not come with him, or is he supposed to have jack and squat as far as roots go? He was extremely healthy before the move.

Pinguicula moranensis roots are usually very short, compared to other carnivorous plants...i think yours is just fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
you need not worry, the roots can be VERY short, as in 1 inch on a 6 inch diameter plant. mine have very short roots, and turn that leaf pulling into more plants! just place on the substrate and wait a couple days to a week or 2, and you'll see plantlets coming out of the base of the leaf. nothing goes to waste when i comes to pings, they are very easy to propagate, just try to take the top 1 inch to 1.5 inches of substrate to avoid breaking the roots as you move it. try to be careful because if you say it is a 1.5-2 inch plant, the roots are even smaller in lenght!

I did take the top inch or so of soil, but when attempting to put it into it's new home it all kinda fell apart. :(

Should be OK though, the plant is embedded in the new dirt, I flooded it so that I could easily get it in there and let it settle afterwards. The leaves got a bit.. messy, so I washed them off a bit and then gave them a fresh coating of dusted dried bloodworms. Hopefully it'll recover. :)

The beauty of most Mexican pings is that you can pick them up, drop them on the floor, put back in the soil, and even denude them of their leaves. They don't get too fazed and the leaves form new plants. This does NOT work for pygmy sundews or B. liniflora!

Back