What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula lusitanica

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of my small colony of Pinguicula lusitanica planted together in a 4 inch (10cm) pot of 100% granulated Sphagnum peat moss:
p_lusitanica_BN.jpg

They also enjoy a 15 hour photoperiod of fluorescent lamps and they are blooming now and again, yet I haven't gotten them to set any seed. If anyone has a tip about that I would enjoy hearing it!
biggrin.gif

Thanks BN for the seed.</span>

I have noted that an excess of humidity around the flowers can wet the pollen and this doesn't allow the seeds production. Maybe, you should put one of your pot on a little higher level for the flower to be nearer the artificial light. This is the same problem that you can have with P. filifolia for exemple.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Eric,

Thank you for the suggestion. I have suspected that the humidity may be responsible. I will follow your advice and see how it goes.</span>

Yeah, I just germinated some seed from the ONE P. lusitanica flower I got. I didn't do anything special, and the seed just fell into the pot. Now I have lots of P. lusitanica!

I don't use terraria, so this was just open air in my living room. Oh, and I use silica sand and peat.

Capslock

The only problem with my P. lusitanica is that they produce seed all of the time. I grow them in my unheated greenhouse on the northern California coast. At night the temperature drops to the low 50s and and during a hot day may reach 80F in the greenhouse (mid 60s outside). I find P. lusitanica to be as much a weed as D. capensis with hundreds of volunteer seedlings popping up in just about every pot. Fortunately, both P. lusitanica and D. capensis are distinctive plants and easily identified. This is the most prolific Ping that I have ever grown so it must love the conditions.

80F in the greenhouse without cooling! I wish temperatures would be 80F outside in my area.

Back