What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula laueana

I recieved my Pinguicula laueana today.
However, it fell out of its pot!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

There apears to be little or no roots.
Is this normal?
I put it back in the soil(at least the small amount of roots)
And will my plant recover?
Regards,
Dino
smile.gif

Mexican pings have very little roots in general. No worries.

Thank you Tamlin.
smile.gif

Wll it recover?
smile_h_32.gif

Its on a east facing windowsill.(Direct sun untill about 12pm, bright all through the day after that)
Dino
smile.gif

It should recover fine. Might help if you can put a cover over it, but really I have yet to find a Mexican Ping that was in any way sensitive to root disturbance. I think this is how they spread in habitat. Lay any leaves on the soil that have come loose and they will form new plants.

Thank you Tamlin!
smile.gif

Is this species harder to grow than other Pinguicula?
Or shall I grow it same as my P. esseriana/ehlersiae?(not sure what the plant is, could be either )

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Starman,
I have no problems growing it with my own Pinguicula esseriana. Easy to propagate and grows quite well, though I have yet to entice flowers from any of them. I have several clones.

I recommend you check out Eric's site for additional information on this and other Pinguicula species.

World of Pinguicula</span>

There seems to be a strong correlation between root development and sensitivity to being disturbed. For instance, the ping doesn't have much of a root development and isn't traumatized when disturbed. In contrast, D. scorpiodes has considerable root development and is highly sensitive to being disturbed. Is this a rule of thumb?

I think you are right, jimscott.
In the wild, temperate and mexican pinguicula are used to getting moved around by wind, rain .etc.
So they are not sensitive to root disturbance.
They dont develop much root because they grow on cliffs or rocks with little soil, the plants that grow on cliffs or rocks with little soil are called alpines. So they dont have much room for root development. Some Pinguicula, like P.grandiflora(temperate species) is getting used to moving around so much, that if you dont repot during dormacy, they dont grow as well!
However, D scorpiodes has plenty of room to grow and develop lots of roots, it has much more room for root development then Pinguicula do. Its not used to moving about, so it is sensitive when you disturb its roots.
Does anybody else agree with me and jimscott?

My P.laueana is recovering, its lifting up its flower stalks,
they used to be right on the soil before.

Try do some cuttings. IF some leaves have fallen off, then hey, what's there to lose?
smile_n_32.gif

Waaa!!! I got my Ping yesterday and it fell from the pot too!!!
Now that i read this im only worried about its health, i was thinking about foliar feeding...Is it possible???
Is a 10-10-30 fertilizer at 1/4 of strenght ok?
confused.gif

No, No, NO!!!!! Dont feed, it will make things much worse.
The plant isnt well, and it will have to cope with the fertilizer asswell.
Lots of people kill their plants because they look unwell, because they give them fertilizer, then their plants die.

try superthrive, to reduce shock an encourage root growth
Hellz

No, dont use superthrive because superthrive is fertilizer asswell.
I would just put it on the tray system and put it in good light, then I would leave it alone untill it recovers, then fertilize. My P. laueana came in a bad state, it has now recovever, and I didnt use any fertilizer to help it recover.

fertilivers bad but if you want to use it use those yellow ball things which relase the fertiliser gentaly otherwise no fertilizer

No, no yellow balls untill the plant gets better.

superthrive is NOT a fertilizer. it is a vitamin/hormone solution. i agree you should give it superthrive.

think of it as a vitamin supplement, starman.

Fertilizer is a vitamin supliment, JLAP.

Fertilizer is NOT a vitamin supplement.  It is composed of concentrated nutrients needed by most plants.  Ie. Nitrogen (N), Phosphate (P), and Potassium (K).  Superthrive is a concentrate of vitamins and hormones that promote root formation and growth in plants.  It even smells like vitamins. Most people state that it has vitamin B1, which has been shown to promote the formation of roots and help plants recover from transplant shock quickly.

Back