What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula laueana, crimson flower wanted!

**********UPDATE as of 3/7/2011 **********
OOops, I should've posted the photos of my plants for trade, as well as photos of live sphagnum moss. As for my non-pitchered Nep. Amp Bronze Nabire, and Bruneii x harlequinn, I will post the photos of them tonight when I get home. They are, by all means, ready for a beauty contest, and would certainly be in a category of needing some TLC at this moment. Some people might be ok with this, but most won't and would not want to go through the hassle of plant trade........
Sooo sorry, this was entirely my fault..
so as to clarify, I will post the actual photos of both plants that are up for trade and also updated photos of my live sphagnum moss too.

Thank you for being understanding!

hi there~ I would really like to get a hold of P. laueana(crimson flower)- in either leaf pullings, or a small baby plant. I do have small portions of live spahgnum moss(larger portion available), and small non-pitchered Nepenthes ampullaria - Bronze Nabir, and bruneix red harlequin(one of each) to trade.

Last edited:
LOL! I have the species... I just can't get the thing to flower!

@candice: is crimson flower a specific variety of P. laueana? i thought all P. laueana had red/crimson flowers...

LOL! I have the species... I just can't get the thing to flower!
eh..? Do you happen to have any extra leaf pullings you could spare........? :0o:
I can pay for shipping of the leaf pullings:blush:

Joseph mentioned that he sent one of this variety to someone, who was able to get it to flower in his greenhouse that dropped to cooler temperature. I forget the which thread though..

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

@candice: is crimson flower a specific variety of P. laueana? i thought all P. laueana had red/crimson flowers...

I think there are several varieties of P. laueana- not sure how many that are officially registered on CP.org. But I do know that there are P. laueana CP3(cerise pink flower), P. laueana crimson flower with pink leaf, P. laueana red flower with green leaf, and one P. laueana variety from Sierra mixe...? but I may be wrong.

the P. laueana variety that I am looking for is the one with red flower with leaf that becomes red under sun.

PM Me. I've got a couple.

kulamauiman is right on. It was Bob Z. that was able to get the plant to flower after exposing it to temperature drops.

Phil

This guy is just opening a new flower. You can see the red color very obviously. I just took this photo 5 mins ago. The little guy can be yours. PM me with an offer. I'm repotting all my plants soon, so I'll even pot it up for you so it does better shipping.

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

I've had this plant flower 3-4 times for me within a year and a half of ownership. It sits right in the middle of my rack along with everybody else. No special treatment.

According to my grow list, I have this one:

Pinguicula laueana (Clemens "Red #1") - Bob Zeimer

I've been continuously trying to get the leaves to sprout. Like the P. gypsicola, I struggle with the leaves. If you can't get something from the above hobbyists, I'll save one out for you. I don't think the window sill got cold enough, but it did produce the winter leaf look.
100_8749.jpg

From last year:

Picture015-6.jpg

Picture025-6.jpg

Picture.jpg
(before it reddened

Last edited by a moderator:
Barry Rice wrote some where about an orange flowered one
I saw one that I think is the same type although I would call it salmon colored
i have seen one that is more fuschia colored.also

I'm with flytraplady5, I've seen Pinguicula laueana clones in varying shades of orange, salmon, peach, dark pink, fuschia, and near crimson red. I keep thinking that this species is certainly begging to have some cultivars registered.

According to my grow list, I have this one:

Pinguicula laueana (Clemens "Red #1") - Bob Zeimer

I've been continuously trying to get the leaves to sprout. Like the P. gypsicola, I struggle with the leaves. If you can't get something from the above hobbyists, I'll save one out for you. I don't think the window sill got cold enough, but it did produce the winter leaf look.
100_8749.jpg

From last year:

Picture015-6.jpg

Picture025-6.jpg

Picture.jpg
(before it reddened

wow.. they look like a completely different species- I wasn't aware of different phenotypes within the same variety! I did purchase a P. laueana from auction, but it was a small seedling, and didn't recover fully(still struggling right now, and it doesn't help that they are sorta in a winter dormancy..) I am hoping that it will recover eventually, but I am hoping I can get a hold of slightly larger, more established plant in case it doesn't recover. lol. I am hoping thougn, to gert a hold of multiple of the same plant from future trade..

Last edited by a moderator:
Candice324,
In reply to one of your earlier questions, "not sure how many that are officially registered on CarnivorousPlants.org?"

Not one single clone of Pinguicula laueana has yet been registered as a cultivar. I plan to remedy that, soon.

Candice324,
In reply to one of your earlier questions, "not sure how many that are officially registered on CarnivorousPlants.org?"

Not one single clone of Pinguicula laueana has yet been registered as a cultivar. I plan to remedy that, soon.

That is pretty shocking- I figured if I can find the photos of the species here(http://www.bacps.org/2005Fall/images/Plaueana.jpg), it would probably mean its is a officially registered cultivar...
I really like this variety(does anyone know which one this is?), also found on the cpphotofinger website....
Plaueana.jpg

There really aren't any representatives of this species, Pinguicula laueana that have been registered as cultivars. Any and all names that they are known by, other than their scientific names, are just unofficial and/or descriptive names.

Even the clone, I called Pinguicula (Red 1), is not officially named. I propagated and distributed some of them, as an unidentified Pinguicula species. I had no idea what it was, other than a Mexican Pinguicula - I needed it to bloom so I could identify it. The moniker (Red 1) was chosen, by me, because its leaves were dark red, like the one in the image you just posted. My goal was achieved, BobZ flowered a division of that plant, and we all discovered that it was a clone of Pinguicula laueana. One with a dark orange-red flower with a characteristic pale spot - see links to photos, earlier in this thread.

Candice
If i were a gambling woman ha ha
I would bet that particular plant was grown by a former active member of BACPS and also TF
He grew his plants under lights to get that darker color on the leaves.
The leaves will lose a lot of that color under natural lighting conditions
I'll try to get in touch with him and see if he remembers what the flower color might have been

I hope he's okay....

Back