What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gypsicola

I can recommend growing this species on a lump of tufa rock with no soil, and just sit the rock in water all growing season. Just pop small plants into cracks and crannies and let it establish itself.

Thanks Rob, that sounds like an interesting idea. I think I will give it a go as soon as the greenhouse is ready.

Here is the same plant again in a follow-up photo:

P_gypsicola_sand-coral_web_B.jpg

In the image you can see its recent dusting with freeze-dried bloodworm powder. I administer this weekly.

awesome plant. one of the few pings that gets my attention even w/o flowers

Geeezzzz. You make it look easy. My P. gypsicola will NOT grow. Its still alive after dying back several times but its about as big as a pinhead. I looked at it the other day under a loupe (thinking it was dead), only to see perfect little plant. Its just TINY. I am hoping this summer it takes off and grows. I love the way they look and I want mine to look like yours! What an absolutely beautiful plant.
smile.gif

I tried the coral thing too but I think it was too coarse. Maybe I'll bash it up with a hammer.

I tried many different media and combinations of media ingredients. I saw some growth at times and I thought it was pretty strong, but it wasn't until I washed a small batch of construction sand from the sandpile I have sitting at the end of my driveway and mixed it with about 1 part in 10 of small, sand-sized coral particles. I then put a small amount of LFS in the bottom of a plastic rose pot as a plug to keep the sand from washing out, then filled the pot with this sand/coral mixture and planted one small 1cm Pinguicula gypsicola plant into it. I kept it semi-aquatic wet and close to the fluorescent lights on timers for 15 hours per day. I used a special forcept/magnifier combination to place small amounts of freeze-dried bloodworm powder onto the leaves. Soon the plants in this set-up were getting larger and stronger by the day. I kept regularly feeding the bloodworm powder and soon this plant provided me with my very first Pinguicula gypsicola flower. Afterwards the crown split and the plant has continued to grow larger and stronger. I have started another crop of Pinguicula gypsicola plantlets from leaves and plan to try more of them in the same conditions.

Back