What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula gigantea (A.L. #3)

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a recent photograph of one of my Pinguicula gigantea (A.L. #3). Original plant obtained from Ed Read.

Not only have I produced copious quantities of vegetative propagations of this plant, but I have successfully self-pollinated it and am growing out quite a few seedlings which are quickly approaching adult size.

<span style='color:violet'>Question: Several seedlings appear to be lacking trapping glands on the underside of their leaves (i.e. segregating for this trait)? What are your thoughts on this?</span>

Pot: White plastic, 3 inch (7.5 cm) square x 4 inch (10 cm) tall

Media: 5 parts pumice to 1 part granulated peat moss.

Water: Year-round, 1/2 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm) in plastic tray.

Light: Year-round, 15 hours/day of "cool white" fluorescent lamps.

p_gigantea_A.L._3_AA1_web.jpg

<span style='color:blue'>What do yours look like and how do you grow them?</span>

Hello,

Sorry I can't answer you questions, but I hope you can answer this for me: I have one of these pings, what does A.L. 3 stand for anyway?

Thanx, L.A. Traphole

A.L. #3 stands for A. Lau. a man named Ed.Read collected them from Lau's garden. there were several "forms", so he labeled them with numbers for reference. Lau has a wall in with mexican pings growing all over it, including P. gigantea.

Mr. Read has a website floating around somewhere....

THERE WE GO! you can see his pics of the ping wall of death.

thanks, Emesis.

Thanks for the info PAK. Thanks a bunch Emesis, that website is fantastic, just what I was looking for. Sincerely, LA Traphole

Where the heck can you get pumice in the Midwest(w/o ordering via mail and paying twice the shipping that the pumice costs)?
confused.gif

mad.gif

Joe

Ditto what Joe said except insert SE instead of Mid-West

Joe,

Nebraska is (was) covered with pumice. See
http://www.geocities.com/jswortham/ashfall.html
which states:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Ashfall remains one of the Nation's best kept secrets. This is a Nebraska State resource of which they are justifiably proud. The best part is that it is free and just a short drive away from the interstates that offer so little to those passing through.
also
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nefronti/whowhofc.html
states:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Frontier does contain the largest silica or pumice deposits in the United States

I imagine the Midwest has OSH, and OSH carries pumice.

Back