What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Enigma'

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Here is a plant of Pinguicula 'Enigma':
It was growing with two others in a 2-1/4 inch pot. They had forced each other over the edges of the pot. When I removed them to harvest leaves and to repot, I discovered that they had long since lost any connection of their root systems with the media, they had just uprooted themselves sometime earlier.

P_Enigma_web.jpg

Oops, this one is somewhat out of focus. A photo of the underside of the plant:

P_Enigma_web_b.jpg

Here is a photo of the leaves harvested for propagation:

P_Enigma_web_d.jpg

And here is the plant ready for repotting:

P_Enigma_web_c.jpg

You know, this is an incredibly informative post, especially for newbies like me.  It is quite reassuring to see pictures of a Pinguicula root system.  Thank you for posting this, PinguiculaMan!
smile.gif

Corey

Yes my P. 'enigma'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Should read, P. 'Enigma'. The first letters of cultivar names are always capitalized.]</span> gives about two plantlets per winter leaf pulled

thats awesome, I had a P. Enigma<span style='color:red'>[Edit: Should read, P. 'Enigma'. The first letters of cultivar names are always capitalized and they are enclosed in single quotes.]</span> but it grew backwards for some reason, then one day just died
smile_h_32.gif

A question (or two) from a ping-ignorant person.   Is it common for pings to become separated from their root system on their own?  Can they survive for long without it, or do they start sprouting new roots?   Curiously, Mike

It is a little difficult to see, the photo is out-of-focus, but the root system is not very extensive and most of this plants root system is confined to a little ball of pumice/sand/peat that has dried and hardened like concrete. Moisture loosens it up, but it has been dry for at least several days to two weeks.

Michael,
Most Pinguicula do not have very extensive root systems. In their environment they don't need it. This is especially true for the Mexican species, hybrids, and cultivars. Even those that have more root system than most other Pinguicula, in my opinion, just seem to have it to anchor themselves more firmly in their natural habitat. It is quite common for their basal leaves to reflex and uproot them, they are then more easily translocated and the manner in which their leaves are attached predisposes them to detach when disturbed in this way. The hypothesis is that they then develop plantlets and establish when located in suitable areas.

A question for you, PinguiculaMan:

Is P. 'Enigma' the same cultivar as P. Yucca Do 1715?  If so, how does it differ from the regular Pinguicula cyclosecta?  

Just curious,
Corey

Yes, I believe it was once identified with the descriptor: Yucca Do 1715; see: Yucca Do information on Pinguicula.org

Under my conditions the differences I've noted are:
1) The leaf surface and stalked glands are only pigmented lavender in the immediate vicinity of the leaf margins and many fewer of them have the dark pigmentation. I can only see it clearly with 8x magnification or greater.
2) The flowers are also very much lighter in color than most other clones of Pinguicula cyclosecta.

Hello all,

Since I am the namer of 'Enigma' and the one responsible for introducing the Yucca Do plants to cultivation maybe I can add a little here. 'Enigma' is also the plant known as Yucca Do 1715. 1715 was not a cultivar name, it was a designation from my original source of the material (Atlanta Botanical Garden.) I have grown 'Enigma' for about 4 years now and can note a number of differences between it and cyclosecta.

-'Enigma' holds its leaves up while at 3 different cyclosecta clones I have all press their leaves down against the ground.

-'Enigma' has never aquired any pigmentation in its leaves for me regardelss of light conditions.

-The 'Enigma' flower is much lighter than cyclosecta and also have a slightly different structure. I also note that 'Enigma' almost always puts up flowers in pairs while none of my cyclosecta plants do this.

-'Enigma' has a different pattern of growth than cyclosecta. The carnivorous rosettes are maintained longer or often perpetually where as all my cyclosecta for winter rosettes every year.

-'Enigma' has a winter rosette that is different than cyclosecta. The former being more convex (like an upside down bowl) with the latter is more flattened.

I believe that 'Enigma' is probably a naturally occuring hybrid between Yucca Do 1714 (cyclosecta) and Yucca Do 1717 (esseriana/jaumavensis like.) The full labels on the plants hints that they were collected at the same time and likely the same place and conversations with the original collector support my assumption of this.

As for the growth Pingman has seen, I too have witnessed this type of growth and have even seen "balls" consisting of multiple rosettes growing loose on benches at ABG. Quite an interesting plant.

Pyro:

What a great post.  Thanks for all the information!  I can't wait to try out this plant someday.

Corey

Hi everybody,

I am not convinced by the hybrid origin of P. 'enigma'<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, P. 'Enigma', cultivar names are capitalized and in normal letter, not italics or underlined]</span> (a very nice cultivar I am really happy to grow)

I believe that this is a green form of this species like we may found some in P. potosiensis for exemple even if its flower is normal coloured.

If I can share my feeling for the YuccaDo complex, I can say that '1713' is a P. esseriana.

'1716' and '1718' are P. potosiensis

Back