What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula and Drosera cleaning..

Syllius

CP Pimp
Heya, I'm sure this has probably been covered somewhere else, but after looking pretty extensively, I wasn't able to find any information on the subject, so I figured I'd ask here...

I live in central Florida and grow my plants outside. They eat really well, but they're becoming over run with gnat carcasses and tree pollen. The tree pollen I can mostly pick off with tweezers, but the carcasses are beginning to pile up. My reasons for wanting to remove them are mostly aesthetic, but it seems like it would also be healthy for the plant to create more surface area to catch bugs. Has anybody found a way to "wash" the leaves without removing most of the dew? I heard the misting Drosera can be bad for them...

Thanks in advance,

Dan

How about a spray bottle, with water?

having them outside is a no win situation....it's gonna be impossible....only way is to move them indoors.

maybe you could submerge them completly and soak them for a while. then dislodge the bugs with a spray bottle while dunking them again every now and then to make the bugs float off out of the way... i wouldnt try it with butterworts

dont wet pings.... they will melt.. and outside its nearly impossible.. wetting the just washes off the dew on the sundews so its pointless becuaset hen they look dry and ugly when the water evaporated

Misting...

I'm getting the impression that washing the dew off the leaves won't shock the plant? I think I read somewhere, I believe it was Barry Rice's FAQ, but don't quote me on that, that misting the plant not only didn't help dew production, but could actually prevent it from producing dew... Maybe it was referring more to people that try to force it to produce dew, but it maybe me nervous about using the spray bottle to clean it.

@dooms: depends on what species of pings. mexican pings yes. but temperate pings live in waterlogged even partially submersed conditions.

UI wouldnt rinse the dew off because once my sundews loose their dew (usually after being shipped) they dont get it back.. and if they are wet, the hot sun can burn them

It's wind and rain that does the job in nature so why not use a water spray bottle? One would guess that it rains on occasion in nature, even in some desert climates.

Back