What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula agnata

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
Below are some links to images of different Pinguicula agnata that I am presently growing. All of them are growing in the same conditions, side-by-side. Most are pale green like Pinguicula gigantea, several develop pigment other than green (see images). I am looking to hear how other growers Pinguicula agnata and the colors their plants show.

p_agnata_sml.jpg

p_agnata_blue_sml.jpg

Here's the agnata I grow. Got this guy from Leo Song.

agnata1.jpg

agnata2.jpg

Thank you Larry. Very nice plant. No red/pink there. Looks very much like Pinguicula gigantea.

Yea, they look really different!
smile.gif

I've never grown P. gigantea, so I don't know how much my plant looks like that one. Mine looks like the one pictured in Savage Garden. In the book, it also mentioned that gigantea is sticky of both sides of the leaf, mine isn't.

Your plants look VERY different from mine. Yours have plump looking leaves while mine are thin. Does agnata have many forms?

I have an 'agnata' from the ABG that looks just like larry's, and like his it is only sticky on the top surface. The flowers are similar to the gigantea shown in Savage Garden though (Pingman, I think I sent you a shot of them before.) I am also growing a gigantea (sticky on both sides) and it has a different leaf shape than the 'agnata' I also have the fragrant form of agnata and it is very different from my other on, most importantly, it forms winter rosettes while the 'agnata' does not (at least not yet anyways...)

Larry,
I remember that P.agnata 'CSUF' has glands on both sides of the leaves. Check this out:
P.agnata 'CSUF'
I suspect that the agnata you have is this one. If you are able to propagate it I would very much like to trade for one.

I have a couple of different forms of agnata. P. agnata cv. Harold and P.agnata 'el lobo' have leaves that are red colored like the agnata posted by PinguiculaMan. The type specimen(or 'blue&#39
wink.gif
is found in the state of Hidalgo, Mexico. Many of my agnatas do form winter rosettes. This is very noticeable in the agnata from Sierra Tamaulipas.

My typical P. agnata (blue?) don't have any red in the leaves, but my 'El Lobo's' get very red as well.
I also a Pinguicula species from Sierra de Tamaulipas which is closly related to P. agnata. It's much hairier than P. agnata, and I believe it's in the process of being named P. pilosa. I'm not sure if these plants are the same as P. agnata var. Tamaulipas though. Are your plants from Sierra Tamaulipas hairy CP2k?
All three of these plants produce smaller leaves in winter (about a third of their summer size) as does my P. gigantea, they are grown with natural light and kept much cooler and drier in winter. The winter rosette is not a tight, succulent looking rosette though.

Vic

Hi Vic,

The agnata from Sierra Tamaulipas that I have is hairy(more so towards the center of the rosette).

Back