What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pings in undrained pots?

Fryster

--Freedom Czar--
I've been thinking of transplanting some of my hybrid Pings into decorative glazed ceramic containers.

Now, there are no drainage holes in any of these containers and I happen grow all my Pings in a airy and rocky mix of aquatic plant soil, perlite and tiny lava stones. Water passes right thru this mix and evaporates quickly as well; which seems very inefficient to me.

Now my question is: Do you think it would be safe (and healthy) for the Pings to grow in the same stony soil in undrained containers if the water level is carefully maintained and monitored?

My thinking is that these pings have such small and shallow root systems that it isn't necessary for them to be on the tray system. A more shallow undrained container might be sufficient and actually more “economical”, water-wise...

Thoughts?

I believe Savage Garden shows a picture of a moranensis in undrained,, ornamental pot. I get the impression, though, one invites trouble if they are kept too wet. So I'd rather err on the side of having drainage.

It would probably be safer to go with a pot with drainage.

I have about 20 baby pings that I cloned from 5 in a undrained green glazed pot if you water carefully it works great and those pots(4 inches in diameter or so) are everywhere there actually for sauces I thinks I'd take pictures of many things but I have like almost money and have a broken camera... If you do buy those nice looking pots if you want holes buy a masonary bit for drilling the holes,

On many lazy occasions that last for many months or sometimes a year or more, I've started with some tropical Pinguicula plants that were initially made rootless to facilitate repotting, putting them into plastic rocks glasses, and then leaving some of them there when the lazy mood strikes. From time to time I refill the plastic glasses with water and even spray the leaves with 60ppm fertilizer solution and sometimes sprinkle them with insect dust fertilizer. They don't mind, and continue to bloom and grow just fine.

i think why most people think you cant grow most mexican pings wet all the time is the fact they do not actually keep them wet all the time....they keep them wet for a long period of time, suddenly let them dry out, than water them again.....the being wet all the time didnt kill them it was the sudden dry spell....ive grown a number of mexi pings wet all the time and what i have noticed is these plants when grown on pure peat do really make hardly any roots....they just sorta float on the soil surface with the roots actually getting most of the moisture from humidity in the air space between the base of the plant and the soil do to the lack of roots a sudden dry spell while the plant is in the carnivorous leaf stage leaves the plant with no water in reserves if it had winter leaves and no way to access moisture deeper in the pot due to the roots being more above the soil than in it. i have a unknown hybrid at the office in a 6x18" tray that is undrained, the soil is about 80% peat and constantly waterlogged. you can pick the rosettes off the soil surface and move them around with no damage to the plants....yet it keeps happily dividing and flowering...started with one plant a couple years ago and it has since divided into around a dozen plants. i have since found that if the plants are grown in something closer to 100% aquatic plant soil they do develop a much larger root system even if kept wet year round and are prolly more tollerant of a drying out period than the same plant grown wet in close to 100% peat.

so yes undrained pots can work fine but you need to keep a close eye on moisture level.

Yeah, I kinda thought my theory had merit. ;)

It sounds like a lot of growers have their own method for growing pings, and all the methods work well.

I guess it's worth fo me to try something different. I mean, my hybrid pings are living but not really thriving. I'm even afraid to do leaf pullings for fear of harming the mother plant.

Thanks for the advice!
thumbs_up.gif

I have been keeping them more wet,I am due fopr the organicn hydroponics fertilizer and miracid mix for my cps i have no idea the strengh like umm 20% miracid and 10% strengh Pro Gro hydroponics nutrient from like seabird guano,emulsified fish and so on so I think they will like it since everything else does :D
I'll update on the status should be just growth...

Well, I went ahead and threw most of my small hybrid Pings into an undrained glazed vessel. I think that they'll be okay. They certain look better.
thumbs_up.gif

Pingtray.jpg

Back