What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi. After reading through the ping section in The Savage Garden, i was wondering, is it possible to propgate Mexican Pings from leaf cuttings of the carnivorous leaves, not their dormant leaves? In the book, it said the winter succulent leaves work well. No reference to carnivorous leaves. also, does anyone have any tips on leaf cutting propagation with:

P.emarganta
P.ehlersai

thanks-Zach

Just peel the outer leaves and stick them face up in a damp mix of perlite:vermiculite or peat:sand:perlite etc. The base does not need to be covered with soil. Mexican pings can be grown from carnivorous leaves. Most people take cuttings of the winter leaves because they are more numerous and the ping will likely receive less damage during this period. Note: P.emerginata only produces summer leaves.

Thanks CP2k for the help. Wow, emarganta only makes summer leaves, so its a warm-temperate? Can damp long-fibered shpganum work as a cutting base? thnak-Zach

P.emarginata is a mexican ping. It grows in the wet valleys of Mexico(forgot exact location) that remain damp during the winter. LFsphagnum can work for a cutting base. Just make sure the leaf base has contact with the LFS.

thnaks a bunch man! lets get ping propgating!

The correct spelling is Pinguicula ehlersiae:

CP Database search for Pinguicula ehlersiae

I have much trouble keeping the names straight, I recommend the CP Datebase to check yourself, they also give information on make up of registered hybrids.
biggrin.gif

Being an impatient person by nature I never did wait until the plants formed winter leaves before I tried to propagate them by leaf cuttings. Guess what, to my never ending pleasure they not only grew plantlets from any leaf I chose to use but they produced even more plantlets from larger leaves (the larger the leaf the more plantlets) Hurrah
biggrin.gif

An example of my impatients:

Plantlets formed on 5 leaves removed from the Pinguicula 'George Sargent' plant I received about two weeks ago. This left the mother plant with only two leaves with which to continue. Seems that this was sufficient.

p_George_Sargent_plantlets_sml.jpg

This is the mother plant:

p_George_Sargent_sml.jpg

I never cultivated butterworts before i never even seen one before

For some reason my P.xGeorge Sargent has never flowered for me, since I received it a year and a half ago. The special feature of this plant is its gigantic winter rosette. The plant I have formed a three inch dormant rosette last winter. I expect it to be even bigger this winter
biggrin.gif

Back