What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ping potting

uphwiz

jimmy
Anyone have a good mix suggestion for pings, they just arrived , and im not sure what to use ,
I have vermiculite, perlite, peat, and sand now need to pot them up this evening, any help , thanks every one. I also have live sphag. and dried sphag, but dont think your supposed to use this in ping's are you?
Weser
ehlersie
Pirouette
Aphrodite
emarinata x cyclosecta

The general knowledge is to use a mostly perlite mixture with some vermiculite and a bit of peat. However, some (like Joseph Clemens) have had much success using a more wet mixture and strong lights. People have also recommended using crushed coral or APS.

I grow my Mexican Pinguicula in just plain peat/sand, with a little Vermiculite towards the bottom of the pot.

My various ping grow better in an open mix.

APS and perlite with some vermiculite. The peat I've added seems to encourage molds and moss "weeds" which I don't care for...

Keeping ping media too wet with high humidity can encourage (leaf) rot. I've since learned that most of my pings like it on the dry side. (for CP's that is...)

I haven't use vermiculite before but do a mix with perlite, sand, egg shells, and crushed coral.

I use 1 part peat, 1 vermiculite, 1 perlite and seems to be growing well. About watering I use those african violet pots and never have to worry about watering too much :)

I haven't use vermiculite before but do a mix with perlite, sand, egg shells, and crushed coral.
wow this the only mix of this kind ive heard of . im going to try it on my next pings , ive already planted them.
The mix i used was 1/4 cup peat, 1/2 cup sand,3 cups vermiculite, 1 cup perlite.
well see how this does, i was getting lost of different suggestions so i thought id try this for a learning experience???
i only have one other ping, laueana and its still in the pot it came in, it looks good so far and ive had it for a few months, im not so confident with these plants , lost one a year or so ago and have been a little shy:blush:, so any wattering advise would be helpfull.
ive got lost of bright light via fluorescent light.
ping+trim.jpg

ping+trim+2.jpg

ping+trim+3.jpg

IMG_0992.JPG

Part of what they need is good drainage. Some of them also want alkalinity and minerals. Hence the crushed coral and egg shells. Seems to work.

think a little top dressing of egg shells would hurt, i had already planted when i got your recipe jim. and what about water top or keep the tray filled say 1/2 full all the time.

I water in the tray when it goes dry. About 0.5-1" works.

Back