What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping planting media

wow, very nice indeed!

Beautiful ping there!

Thanks, all the credit goes to Peter who grew that little beauty.

I've seen the Schultz APS mix at Home Depot - 10 and 25 pound bags. I don't recall seeing it at Lowe's

Link to Schultz APS page: http://www.schultz.com/ProductCategories/Soilsamendments/AquaticPlantSoil/

Unfortunately they don't have the MSDS available online which might have answered the question if it is made from fuller's earth.

Nice Pic Warren. Alas you can see that nothing i do keeps that darn moss away, even in the APS mix. Oh well.
I usually repot into new mix at some point, and start over!
Peter.

I've been plucking the moss out of the P. cyclosecta I have from you, maybe once every other month. It only seems to grow when I top water.

At least it's not the horrible fuzzy carpet moss that I get in some of my other pots, choking to death my seedlings.

I wonder if sterilizing the mix by boiling it or heating in a microwave would make a difference? Probably not because the propagules are probably coming along with the pulling. And I don't know how the mix would react in a microwave oven.

I've noticed Ivan uses a fine white sand with many of his Drosera. I wonder how he manages to keep it so clean and moss free?

-Warren

I think the moss is inevitable cuz the spores come from nearby plants or maybe even in the air. Oh well...

What about trying pings in a nepenthes mix? I just had to quickly plant a few small leaf pullings and I used about 1.5 parts LFS, 1 part perlite, and 1 part orchid chips. Those are the only soil ingredients I have right now, and I was wondering if anyone has any reasons why LFS might not be a good soil for Mexipings. The mix is really open, but it might not be as sandy as others. Any comments or suggestions?

I have grown many pings in LFS, both as cuttings medium and for full grown plants. One issue i have is the roots are hard to extract from the LFS, so repotting is a challenge. There is also more risk of rot as LFS is quite wet.

Using APS, it just falls off the roots and makes repotting a snap!
Peter.

Thanks for all of the advice guys...now I have to go shopping a HD.

Here is a silly question, so I will go for it:

:-O

Has anyone actually tried the basic , clayish kittly litter with no scents, additives, ect? I have not had cats in decades(wife is allergic), so I do not know if they still make it.

Cheers,

Joe

PS Pyro uses 50% pine bark mulch and 50% crushed coral and gets great growth.

Some people use it for large planted aquaria because it's cheaper than the fancy substrates that get expensive in large amounts. You can get small boxes of Laterite at Petsmart or other stores that sell planted aquarium stuff, and given that kitty-litter grade laterite, if it's pure at all, isn't intended for plants, I strongly suggest buying horticultural grade laterite from a fish store. I think it's.... 20 dollars for a 5 pound box or something like that. I think I remember them talking about how hard it was to fine usable kitty litter and then it turns to mud after awhile. Maybe if you combined it with another mineral and collected the precipitate it would be less soluble.

I've used Fluorite before and it works pretty well and has a nice red/black color ^_^ You'd have to wash it a lot before you use it, but it's loaded with iron.

Well... I just use 60/40 Perlite: Peat for mine.

It has not only been growing, but thriving! It has even made a new leaf in little over a day!

It keeps raining in the windows though, so, not much dew... SIGH.

At least it got done digesting it's feast of insects before it flooded in the windowsill...

So the APS is good for Mex pings...

But, would APS be good for P. primuliflora??

I would like to repot my new little Lowe's primuliflora as I have finally acclimated it to my growrack.

I have the APS. Would mixing perlite and vermiculite be a good addition? A good airy soil mix is needed for primuliflora correct?

I'm a ping-newb and have had two primuliflora die on me using standard 50/50 peat/perlite mix.

Thoughts from you ping experts? :hail:

I use some vermiculite, but it breaks down into this mush very quickly. It's something I use less and less these days. Don't pings like some of the minerals that is in vermiculite?

xvart.

The label on the back of my bag of Schultz Aquatic Plant Soil, says that it is made from 100% Arcillite. It also states, "100% Natural Ceramic Granules, made from Fuller's Earth".

Apparently Schultz also sells the same product under several other names, i.e. Multi-purpose soil conditioner, is one of them.

Last edited:
Back