What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping media

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Don't know how many of you are on the listserv but did anyone catch the media one uy uses for his mexican pings? Equal parts peat, sand, charcoal, orchid bark and LF sphag. Sounds more like a Nep mix to me.

Pyro

Hi Pyro,
From my experiences with media for mex. pings they grow well in a variety of mixes that include peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite, orchid bark, LF sphagnum and many others. Definelty not picky;)

I am on the listserv and the was indeed a mix of peat, sand, small grade
charcoal, small grade orchid bark and chopped long fibre sphagnum moss. Mexican pings need very open mixes from what I hear. I know that many of them grow as Epiphytes.

(Edited by Tristan at 9
wow.gif
3 pm on Feb. 28, 2002)

Darn while I was typing CP2K posted. I am a very slow typer.

I'm about a month behind on my listserv readings.
smile.gif

Sounds like the mix would work because they definitely prefer open, aerated mixes.
Another unusual mix is at:
http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk/
Look under cultivation, then Mexican pings. I don't know what 'tufa' is. Reminds me of 'tofu'.

I use equal parts peat, perlite, sand, and vermiculite and lava rock in my own mixes. I also add small pinches of dolomite and gypsum. It's worked well so far.
Chris

(Edited by Dionaea Enthusiast at 7:28 pm on Mar. 2, 2002)

I use a mix of lava rock, perlite, LFS, and sand. Mine's doing great in it so I guess it's working huh?

I have my Mexican pings (<i>P. cyclosecta, ehlersiae, laueana, </i>and<i> moranensis</i>) in a 50/50 mix of peat and perlite. Is this good?

(Edited by havron at 3
wow.gif
1 am on Mar. 11, 2002)

Hey, if it's working for you, it's fine.

But it does sound like it contains too much peat, you may need more aeration

So far it's working, but I don't know about long-term, as I've only have them in there for a few weeks. Also, my laueanas haven't woken up yet.
smile.gif

Back