What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping flowers

Hey, I've had these three p. morensis for two years now. During both growing seasons the plants will begin to flower. The flower will grow to about 1/2 an inch, then stop growing. It will then turn brown and die. I at first thought I was keeping them too moist so I cut back on the water some, but still the same thing happens. I don't fertilize them and they look generally quite happy. So what's up?! How can I get them to flower?

Thanks

what's your temps? sunlight? any other growing conditions?

All of my growing conditions I think are pretty good. Maybe not obviously. I'm in SW Wisconsin and the average humidity ranges from 30 to 70 percent. THe plants get about 1 hour of direct sunlight and the rest is shade or filtered. The temps lately and during the summer can be in the 80's to lower 90's and at night in the 70's. Now that it is fall this is changing, but these are average for the summer.

i have a few that are finiky and won't flower when the temp gets past 85. try keeping the temp lower (or less spiked) and keep them out of direct afternoon light.

Mine don't seem to flower when the temps are at or above 85F either. The air temps went from the 90's to the 70's just a few days ago and my Pings all seemed to wake up and started sending up flower stalks. It's been a very hot summer and I suspect this may have had an effect on the plants. None of my plants get afternoon sun.

Aside from window panes and other assorted variables, mine have been experiencing temps from the upper 80's -> low 90's all summer long. Hmmmm....

It's been my experience most plants shut down to conserve precious resources to be able to withstand high temps with very little exception. Whether it be a plant that is indigenous to my region such as Asclepias incarnata, or an introduced noxious weed such as Taraxacum officinale ssp. officinale, or our beloved Sarracenia. Funny, this is most probably the single greatest contributing factor to the introduction of chemicals to our ground tables. Most people don't realize that herbicides truly can't be applied unless the air temps are going to be below 84 or above 60 for about a week. Plants go quasi dormant at temps below 60 and they shut down above the low 80's. This means they don't absorb chemicals effectively when they are applied outside the range. Maybe, just maybe, the temps having been in the upper 80's and low 90's is one of the factors contributing to your inability to get many of your Mexican Pings to bloom. I still think the type of glass in your windows is going to prove to be a major component of this equation though.

Back