What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of dionea malformations!

Hello to everyone!
Some of my Dioneas have developed some strage traps.
I am posting the pics to share them with you all.
Let me know what you think and also post your pics if you have some strange Pics also.
A single dionea has developed to malformed traps...so I want to check if she in its future generations will also continue in this way!
Bye!

Mr_Aga

malformazione3.jpg

malformazione2.jpg

malformazione1.jpg

In another forum, a woman just posted pics of her double-trapped VFT. In her case, it was surmised that it was due to aphid damage, at a stage that led to the trap formation. That doesn't look like what happened in your case, though. Looks more like a good old-fashioned mutation. Congratulations!
smile.gif

If there is a single strange trap on the plant, then the cause is likely some environmental damage during the development of that particular leaf/trap and the abnormality will likely not be found on subsequent leaves, and certainly not be transferred by cloning that abnormal leaf. If all of the current and subsequent traps on a plant have the same "mutation", then it is likely that the characteristic will transfer to clones of that plant. If by "future generations" you mean seedlings (sexual reproduction), there is a much smaller chance that these abnormalities will be transferred, compared to clones (asexual reproduction).

One of them just looks like a cuptrap VFT.

Wow. The only malformations I've seen in mine are from the abuse they recieved in stores. This poor little VFT was crammed in under a Darlingtonia in a communal terrarium. You can see what contortions it had to go through to get light. Now that it is on its own, newer leaves are of a normal shape.
DI002%206-26-2005.jpg

Holy shicksa that's a big picture! Think you could resize it?

Ahahha! Nice nice!
Yes...in my case my malformation were not the cause of some stupid insects.I will keep an open eye on the plant who have given me the doubled traps and the cup trap.
There is another dionea around called "dionea POM POM",someone knows it? ;)
Let me see,ehehhe!
Mr_Aga

I'm sure Mr. Z has a some pictures on his site:

BobZ's site

Oops! Sorry, reduced the pic... I missed that one, usually I DO resize them before posting...

I read somewhere that 'pompom' VTFs eventually revert to normal, is that true?

Yes,
it is TRUE....the Pom Pom Dionea after a Couple of years return normal...it's a sort of magic,don't you find? ;)
Bye!

Mr_Aga

Back