What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture resolution?

• Thread starter dfalkanger
  • Start date
I was wondering if anyone could help me with my picture problem on my laptop?  When I look at uploaded pictures or pictures other people post, they seem to be all blocky and kind of blurry.

Today I looked at my uploaded images and others on this forum, on another computer, and they were crystal clear?
sad.gif
  I thought maybe their is someway to change this?  I couldn't figure it out and I'm sick of blocky blurry images.

Even some websites the images are blurry and blocky?  Thanks for any help
wink.gif

EDIT: It looks like all the picture resolutions are set as high as they go. 32 bit, could it be my internet connection?

I believe this has to do with the dot pitch of your laptop screen. The number of dots/pixels that make up one inch on your laptop screen is lower than that of a CRT ( a standard monitor ). Because the number of dots is lower, your images appear to be fuzzy and blocky.

The problem is also compounded by the lossy compression of JPG files. At a lower compression ratio, artifacts begin to appear. It can also happen if an image has been sharpened too much. It causes artifacts to appear in the image. However, if the image is being viewed at a higher screen resolution, those artifacts are smaller on the screen and the eye does not see them as much.

The problem can also happen on CRTs as well. For instance, I have a screen resolution of 1280x1024. I have many images on my website that look crystal clear at this resolution, but begin to get fuzzy and blocky at resolutions below 800x600. This is due to the compression ratio as well as some other image manipulations.

I hope this helps. Someone else may have a better explanation that me. I use to be very good at this sort of thing, but have been away from the tech desk a bit too long.

My screen pixelation is 1024x768. After I take pictures off my digi cam and view them on my laptop, the pictures are crystal clear. It is just images, and a lot of other stuff that I see online that is blocky and blurry?
sad.gif

It maybe that the images are not fully downloaded to your system. Progressive jpeg files appear in a series of passes. The first pass looks blocky and blurry, with each new pass creating a sharper image. Perhaps the server is dropping the connections before the images have had their final pass.

Just a thought.

Image sharpness is a combination of the screen resolution and desktop dimension as well as the dimension and resolution of the image.

Perhaps your viewing photos in some sort of expanded resolution. Just checking one of my pics on the website and it is 169 x 360 pixels. My screen is set for 1024 x 768. The picture takes up only a small portion of the total 1024 x 768 area and is nice and sharp. But if I were to look at the same picture blown up to cover more area than the 169 x 360, it would lose resolution and get blurrier with increasing dimensions.

Tony

Could you maybe tell me the specs. of your computer and what browser you are using. There are severaly possiblities. I know for instances IE and Opera have a feature will it will resize your pictures automatically online causing them to be blurry and blocky. You might also want to check if this is happening only online by checking the pictures with a different program off of your local hard drive. A program like GraphicConvertor (mac) or JpegView (IBM-Comp.)

Hope that helps.
-IL

Here is all the information I could find about my computer, I don't know if this will help identify the problem?

I am using Netzero dial-up for my internet connection

Thanks for all the help, I am still trying to figure it out though?

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CPQ49314066312
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Pavilion ze4200
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~1694 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. KE.M1.53, 12/10/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name CPQ49314066312\Owner
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 158.33 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.09 GB
Available Virtual Memory 604.91 MB
Page File Space 674.09 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Celeron ® CPU 1.70 GHZ
448 MB of RAM

Try changing the resolution on your laptop. Laptops are optimized for one resolution and if you view them at anything other than that (usually lower resolutions tho) they will appear blurry. As far as blockiness, unless your video card driver is doing the jpeg decompression it should not appear blocky unless your computer isn't set to a high enough color depth.

Okay I'm assuming your are probably using Internet Explorer that comes with windows Xp as your browser and hopefully not some netZero custom browser. If you are you can try and look under the menu Tools->Internet Options then go to the Advandced tab. Once there scroll down to the Multimedia section and uncheck Enable Automatic Image Resize. This might be the cause of your problem.

Also in the same area there is a option called Smart Image Dithering. You can try changin that option also.

-Gerrad

Back