What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of tuberous drosera seedlings

Here are some pics of successful germination on 4 tuberous species. I'm especially proud of the D. erythrorhiza var. squamosa. :bigthumpup:
You can click on each pic to enlarge or pick the different sizes. These are macro shots as the seedlings are very tiny--only about 3 mm across!

Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157594477004286/

Peter.

Wow! Really nice pictures! Reminds me of how I need a new camera.

Congrats on successfully germinating those! I've been able to germinate some tuberous drosera... but they never last. :/

Why do you say they never last? Do they germinate than die on you?
Is it because of timing and hot weather dooms them?

Just wondering so i know what to expect!
Peter

Peter,
Nice job! Did you do anthing speical to germinate them(heat stratify, GA3-all the things you hear people do)?

Cheers,

Joe

Hi Joe,

Here's what i did...
On 8/26 i sowed the seed into pots and placed them in my hot terrarium (into the high 90's). I left them there until about late Sept, then i put them under lights in regular house temps.
Most of these sprouted in November.
I did not do any of the fancy treatments like smoke, giberellic acid, etc.
I didn't even scarify the seed, which is recommended a lot.

the one tuberous that has not sprouted is D. lowrie.

They continue to grow under lights at room temperature.

Peter.

I've successfully germinated D. auriculata and D. gigantea but they're always gone after 2-3 months. I think maybe one of my problems was that I put them in a very large pot to germinate in and they may not have been getting enough water perhaps? The peat was always wet but I just wonder if it was good enough? I'm planning to try again but I'm going to use normal sized pots this time. It takes up less space anyways. Oh I forgot, I have tried germinating them outside (my first time I tried that in the summer and failed) and then on the next try I used my terrarium which is probably... about 75-80 on the inside since the lights generate some heat even from the other side of the glass. So yeah trial and error is what I always go through. x_x

My understanding is that tall or deep pots are recommended for tuberous sundews because they put out extensive (long roots). Many people use plastic drinking glasses with holes drilled in the bottom as tuberous 'dew pots.

I picked up a couple of Coca-Cola glasses (2 for 99 cents) which I thought might make whimsical td pots, that is when I feel experienced enough to try cultivating these 'dews.

Hmmm.. I never thought of that, that would also allow you to get the plants closer to the lights if you grow em in a terrarium, as I do. Time to go to the dollar store!

It could be you're overwatering too. Most tuberous sundews go dormant during the summer and need dry conditions. Too wet will rot the tuber and too dry the tuber will dry out. Some like D. gigantea will survive damp/wet conditions during dormancy. See this thread on Pyro's tuberous sundew growing tips

Mine never lasted long enough to make it to the summer. :p

...then again... with the lighting... the seedlings could have possibly thought it was summer?

I did basically as pingman - sow in late summer and kept in the attic, now an unheated window sill, where they are kept cold and wet. Nothing fancy added.

Ahhh.. think the ones I just ordered will last until the end of the summer? Or maybe I can skip the first dormancy.

Dormancy in these plants is no like dormancy in a Sarr or VFT, you can not induce the plant to skip. When the plant decideds to go dormant it will and there is not a thing you can do to stop it or slow it down.

It is possible to sow now and get successful germination and even good growth but you will have to provide very high light for the seedlings to give them the strength they will need to for a proper tuber by summer, if you don't then odds are you will end up with an out of cycle plant. Not a huge issue if you know how to synch it back up but if you are just breaking in on these species it can be difficult.

Crap, I have once again made a mistake. Yay for me.

How long do D. auriculata seeds last in the fridge? x_x

Man your camera is UBER. THey seem really dewy for being so young.

Back