What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bobzunknown.jpg

Unknown hybrid from BobZ (H-2)

courtii.jpg

Antho-free S. x courtii

flava.jpg

S. flava - likely an intervarietal hybrid

flavaandreadii.jpg

S. flava and S. x readii

flavarugelli.jpg

Clump of S. flava var. rugelli. There's also S. leucophylla x moorei in there, and a S. rubra gulfensis flower in bloom.

minor1.jpg

Clump of S. minor

I have that un-named plant from Bob too, it is a real beauty.  I think this would be a S. x moorei hybrid.  Maybe we should come up with an unofficial cultivar name for now and then make it legit; since Bob is such a generous man, this plant has to be a lot of places!  How about S. "Zeimers Zinger"?

Anyone else out there growing this plant?  Hey Bob, is there any history associated with this paticular clone?

Thanks for sharing this photo. It has helped me pin one of my plants without labels. Let that be a lesson, mark even the unknowns with a code: that way you will know if it is a true unknown or just a pot the marker got lost from. I have a terrible time with birds and squirrels turning my collection topsy turvey and should have thought ahead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hey Bob, is there any history associated with this paticular clone?

This is one of a number of different of Sarracenia that have been hanging around for about 30 years and the labels have been lost for decades. Some of these plants originally came from Bob Hanrahan when he relocated from southern California to Alabama or Florida or somewhere back east. Others arrived when I was running the ICPS seed and plant exchange in the 1970s.

Below are a couple of late summer photos of that H-2 plant. BTW, the pitcher has faint light areoles in spring; the flower is red with red-green sepals an slightly sweet smell.
S_H2_029.jpg

S_H2_030.jpg

Hey, neat! I think I will drop Bob a line and see if he remembers this plant. He's a great guy, and was one of the few sources for different CP back in the Elder Days at World Insectivorous Plants.

Maybe he will go for calling it "Zeimer's Zinger"!

Nice pics! Is that the S.minor from Jerry?

Cripes Bob, that's nice. I realized I have been growing various cp for 25 years, but that is nothing comapred to you!

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah, he's got me beat too. If you haven't seen the photo on the Bob's Home Page you gotta check it out and compare it to the photo he posted here on the "Its that time...." thread.

I see we are both listed in the ICPS donor list back in 1981 Joe. Things sure were different back then.

Yes, they were.
I believe I donated five packs of whatever I was growing that was labled D. burkeana. The original plant came from Peter Paul's. It might have been the real thing, for it certainly did not look like spatulata(very round lamina and got fairly red in color). Nice plant, whatever it was.
Bob had articles in CPN back then. I remember N. mirabilis on Yap Island and his article on growing D. regia, which was the first time I had ever seen a pic of that plant.

Cheers,

Joe

Back