What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics from borneo exotics

Marcello,

What a fantastic story, not to mention the photos! I must
say that I'm sure many of us envy you your experience and
the insights you have doubtlessly acquired as a consequence!

Thank you for sharing this with us!

Fantastic! Thank you, Marcello, for an interesting and exciting glimpse into BE. The pictures are simply amazing! Someday I'd love to visit the nursery and see that part of the world.

Capslock

That's a great report Marcello!

One question, what was the experiment / trials that you wanted to do while you were there? Will that portion of the story be published seperately? If so, please let me know where as I'm always interested in any litterature about Nepenthes!

Thanks for the wonderful pictorial tour of BE Marcello! I appreaciated it.
smile.gif

Great stuff Marcello.

I enjoyed both the write-up and pictures, though now I want an even bigger glasshouse or to go and live in the tropics!

Aaron.

Yay great pics and story! I spent half the day looking at pictures
Tony

I'm with tony here- I looked at every picture and his... umm... brother. Well, you get the picture. Awesome! Borneo exotics is a great place. Wish they shipped to the US though, and didn't have a $300 min. Loved the N. rajah fields! Wish I had some in my backyard... Oh well. One can hope.

Craig

Hi Marcello,

many thanks for sharing your story and the very impressive pictures!

Cheers Joachim

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
wow I thought that was specs website for a second looks the same

you're pretty lucky
smile_m_32.gif
thanks for showing us your website.

Hi Marcello
You are a very lucky man indeed.I loved the write up and the pictures were fantastic. The Highland Truncata's are amazing,ive never seen anything like it. Nice job.

Bye for now (an envious) julian

The pics were very nice indeed.
I noticed the N. albomarginata were both in the highland and lowland nursery. AKAIK, the only person I know that has noticed anything about that species liking cooler temps, would be....Jeff (neps). He will have to help me out on that to see if I am pulling this out of somewhere or dead wrong. I thought I remebered it from a visit to his place.....

Cheers,

Joe

I have my N. albomarginata out in the main greenhouse. They manage ok during the colder 'more highland' like Winter months but they do noticeably better during the warmer Spring and Summer.
Tony

Hi Marcello,

Great report and fantastic pictures of of the plants growing at Borneo Exotics too. It was nice meeting up with Rob and yourself in Lyon, say hello to all your crazy, AIPCS (Italian CP Society) friends from me!  
smile.gif

Note: The AICPS is the only national CP organisation which sings in unison in the street!

I noticed that the only pictures of the three main people involved in your report, where hands holding pitchers! So here's a not very good one of Marcello, Rob (the two on the left) and Diana (lurking at the back) at the ICPS Conference last month.

Marcello.jpg

Tony,

What sort of minimum temperatures do your N. albomarginata cope with in winter? I've noticed that BE have clones of both lowland and intermediate forms of this wonderful Nep, and am very tempted to try an intermediate one in with my highlands (min. temp. 10C)

Cheers

Vic

Hi Joe and Tony,
The 'rubra' albomarginata seems to prefer more intermediate conditions. I believe this is the Penang red form. Ours is not happy with the summer conditions right now here in south Florida.
I noticed Rob grows his lowland veitchii at his highland nursery. Our veitchiis are loving the Florida summer. Our large plant has six beautiful pitchers on it now!
If Marcello should see this post, I would love to know how BE. grows its northianas.
Fantastic pictures, Marcello!

Trent

Yay more pics!

Vic- I have a variety of N. albomarginata (5 off the top of my head) Actually kinda funny my conditions.. Winter has warmer nights but cooler days than Summer. During the Winter days run 75 (warmer if the sun is out but that is not a frequent occurance), nights 62 or so although different parts of the greenhouse can vary considerably I try and keep the N. albomarginata in the warmer areas. Summer days 85-88 with nights whatever it gets to outside.. On average that is the high 50s but can vary as low as low 50s to mid 60s. I think the key here is that the cold night temperatures are not such a big deal as long as the days are nice and warm.

Trent - That could be the issue with your N. albomarginata.. not cool enough at night which would sure indicate more of an intermediate tendancy. As for N. veitchii I have a number of these and they sure like my Spring/Summer much much more than Winter.. I have some 'highland' plants that got injured during the Winter from cold temps and the 'lowland' form just kinda sits there and looks lousy during the Winter as well. My interpretation is N. veitchii, regardless of type, is happy with warm days and cool but not cold nights.

Tony

Great photos! I have a question. What mix are they using for thier plants?

Glenn

Some great photos Marcello and a very fascinating report which reminds one of the Plant Hunters that first discovered so many of the early species.
I see that many of the hybrids are just shown with a number. Are the specific crosse's not known at this stage?

Any more photos?
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Coir. It's coconut fibers.

Very interesting about your temperature range, Tony. I got the impression that some of your winter nights could be hitting as low as the mid 40's. In winter, the cold spots in our greenhouse may get down to 50, but the days are always up into the 80's.

Trent

Thank you for sharing your experiences! That was very interesting...and such beautiful plants. Wow. You were in nepenthes heaven...and getting to meet such neat people.
smile.gif
You are very lucky...I'm glad you got to do that.

Back