What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pics for rock hounds

spectralite.....its a type of labradorite from Finland, unfortunately its a royal pain getting a good pic of.....first pic is how it more or less looks, the second is actually a pretty poor pic of how it looks when yah get the light at just the right angle....when yah get it just perfect it flashes color bout 5 times better than the pic.....really cool but i kinda prefer normal labradorite cause its not as picky on just the right angle....

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

Koroit bolder opal from Australia......
IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

very nice we have labradorite at work in all of our padio stones, the angle def has to be right with light to see the color i did notice if you get it wet it shows like so much better.

few more:

sapphires from gravel deposits near Philipsburg Montana
e9d22f71.jpg

1234524365.jpg

I like that opal :D

Labradorite is one of my favorites. I used to go to a rock shop that had piles of stuff in the rough, and polishing/drilling/cutting equipment in the back that you could get time on by the hour. Unfortunately, they shut down and I moved >.<

I do remember that agate is miserable to do anything with, and if you leave fluorite a second too long on the rough polishing wheel, you'll get down to nothing because it just bubbles away like soap! Rutilated quartz is a nice on too - made some earrings out of it.

Back