What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picked up some stuff for the new year

You plant them all in pebbles?

It's a mix of about 90% assorted pebbles/10% peat moss. For the planter boxes I use larger stones at the very bottom about an inch deep for extra drainage, then put a half inch or so layer of peat over that. Then more pea pebbles up to the level where I want the plant(s) to sit. I clean as much of the soil from the roots as I can before planting, but I leave a bit there cause the roots do need some soil nutrition but still needs to drain well. I then use the white pearl stones as a decorative topper.

I use that same principal for other pots, but the amounts may vary according to pot size.

My new box.
IMAG0401_zps4d38e95e.jpg

IMAG0402_zpsd426e2e4.jpg

IMAG0403_zpsc9f21765.jpg

Mostly shedding lithops.

Rock plants have always been my favorite. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I buy a small collection. I'm liking your setup. Thanks for the ideas on setting them up.

Edit:
Didn't know they got dormant in the summer. Guess I need to buy them sooner.

They say they can't adapt to our seasons... But mine seem to shed and flower on cue pretty well. So I don't necessarily agree with that. But I also live in Texas, my conditions are similar to Africa. :p

If you liked those... Check this out. I took a preexisting planter, broke it down, removed every plant and then rearranged them back in there with new plants. Wanted to fill it out more.
IMAG0418_zpsa6111066.jpg

IMAG0422_zpsd29833d3.jpg

IMAG0419_zpsb426a5be.jpg

IMAG0420_zps3f5a86c1.jpg

IMAG0421_zps469512fc.jpg

Quite a hodge-podge in there.

You've got a really nice collection! It's making me reconsider my individual pots for everything, everything looks so much nicer in a planter together.

Just an FYI, your Faucaria tigrina is actually a Faucaria felina ssp. tuberculosa. The nursery that supplies and labels these misidentifies quite a few of their species, as you've already seen with your cacti. The difference in ID'ing the two is tigrina has completely smooth leaves on the top, and tuberculosa gets those warty bumps.

Oh, really? I thought they looked different. The one in the last picture group I knew was a feline tuberculosa CV sato. I do have two others, one I thought looked different. On page two. Thanks for the info, I have caught them mislabeling before. They also like to label Lapadaria as Pleiospilos. Hehe.

Last edited:
Yes I was referring to the one on page 2, the "warts" on the top are a giveaway that it isn't tigrina. There's also the potential that it could be a hybrid. I have one that looks exactly the same (possibly from the same vendor?) I split that up last year sent half to a friend in California, and it looks totally different in his conditions. However, for the variety and price I have picked up quite a few succulents and cacti from them over the years, mislabeled about 20% of the time, lol.

Your cv. 'Sato' I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, that's a really nice one!

My rock plant just flowered too! I have way too many succulents. If you or anyone every wants any, just holla! Everything looks great :)

East to West, lol, I probably have 60 on my back porch right now. Think I fall under the "too many" category myself.

This 'Tigrina' is really a Tuberculosa too, right?
IMAG0470_zps89e230ff.jpg

This one is greener like the Sato. The one on page two is bluish. Really wish those flower pods would come on with it.

Last edited:
Yes, or a hybrid of the two (tuberculosa and tigrina) but it could be just different forms of tuberculosa, or tuberculosa looks different under different conditions. Do you grow it in full sun, all day, or partial shade?

Example, 1st picture is the one I suspect is a hybrid or a tuberculosa w/less tubercles (one head of for sure tuberculosa in the background.)

The second is a for sure tuberculosa I had that I split up. They look different enough but both have tubercles. With less popular plants, it's pretty difficult to find enough good information to figure it out. No clue why these aren't more popular though.

P1050519_zpsb01d4297.jpg

Attachment-1_zps8d2a58b0.jpg

Sorry to derail your thread, I just know that many people that grow their plants seriously like to know what their plant actually is, and figured you might be one of these people (seeing as how you're posting on a board dedicated to it! :bigthumpup: )

Hehe, yes, thank you for that information. :D I do like to have accurate tags. Sounds like that might not happen with these though. Probably is some sort of hybrid, there's so many of them.

Oh, I found two Argyroderma living rocks earlier. :eek: Couldn't believe it. Will take/post pics later. They are so cute, they look like little Easter eggs.

Here's my little Easter eggs. No planter(yet) for these little guys.
IMAG0473_zps7edd13e4.jpg

And here's my Rhipsalis flowering. :D
IMAG0471_zps98e4f883.jpg

Those are cool. Like pencil cacti with thorns.

Back