What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of my Ceph

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
Just thought I'd post a pic of the Ceph I got last month, so here it is.....

cephalotus3-8-10.jpg

So far it seems to be doing pretty good. I'm not thrilled with the soil it came in since it seems a bit dense (looks like half peat, half coarse sand) but since it seems to be doing well I've been reluctant to repot it. It recently lost a few of the tiny pitchers and two leaves, but it has a new growth point forming so I'm not overly worried about it.

Not bad, huh? :woot:

Get your ceph fix yet? ;)

Not even close.. I'm on the verge of spending $120 for a large "Hummer's Giant". I WANT ONE!! And I want it to be big NOW! Will a Ceph do good in my grow box? 74degF & 75% humidity 24/7..

Yeah, I love my Ceph, although I'm a bit worried about the soil it came in.....not really sure what I should do about that......to repot or not to repot, that is the question. ???

Yeah, I love my Ceph, although I'm a bit worried about the soil it came in.....not really sure what I should do about that......to repot or not to repot, that is the question. ???

what's with the soil?

I think you need to water your Ceph. That soil looks really dry

Personally, I would leave it in the soil that it's in. The plant looks healthy so why risk re-potting when it's not necessary? Until recently re-potted, my Cephalotus, pictured HERE was in poor quality peat that had turned black and compacted into solid lumps but as you can see, the plant is growing well. Cephalotus seem to be far less fussy about soil than VFT for me.

I think you need to water your Ceph. That soil looks really dry

Only near the very surface, I hear that in dense soil they should be watered less and the top of the soil ends up looking like that only a day after a good watering anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Personally, I would leave it in the soil that it's in. The plant looks healthy so why risk re-potting when it's not necessary? Until recently re-potted, my Cephalotus, pictured HERE was in poor quality peat that had turned black and compacted into solid lumps but as you can see, the plant is growing well. Cephalotus seem to be far less fussy about soil than VFT for me.

The soil mine is in is probably similar to their native soil, so I would think that it should be OK. I just need to make sure that I don't overwater it.

Back