What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

physical sign of useless trap

• Thread starter Joe Dirt
  • Start date
are there physical signs that are trap cant be use again to catch prey?

Hi Joe,
The normal way to tell if a trap will not be active any more is that the trap does not have that 'sprung' look to it like in a new fully opened trap. After 2 or 3 'meals', the teeth are not poised in the same way (sometimes pointing vertically up still in digestion mode even when it has opened up) and/or the main part of the trap is still concave.

I hope that helps!

Well, sometiems trigger hairs turn brown if they get really old, in which case they wont work.

Here is a picutre of a fatigued trap:

dmusc41.jpg

Helped?

(Edited by Parasuco at 11:17 am on May 20, 2002)

thank for your help. yup my vft has a trap that dont work no more

That photo is exactly that; a trap well past it!

Need useless traps be pruned off immediately? If not immediately, should they be pruned off, ever? I tend to think that the energy required to maintain a useless trap would be better spent on creating new, healthy traps. Or does the photosynthesis benefit of leaving the trap outweigh the energy allocation drawback?

i do know that part. yes leave the trap be. like you said it will act like a normal leaf. so i think the outcome of having a useless trap would be benifical for the entire plant. even though the trap wont be able to catch prey, it will still make food.

Back