What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photos

Hi,
This is my first bicalcarata pitcher (a year after i acquired the plant)

Nepenthes Bicalcarata (red/green)
f7176e73.jpg

Nepenthes Bicalcarata x gracilis
f71773b8.jpg

smile.gif

Any comments?

how 'bout................very nice plants.
smile_n_32.gif

Rattler

Congrats! Wheres the fangs though?
confused.gif

Thats a nice Bical pitcher! But yeah, the fangs are kinda absent aren't they?
smile.gif

I think it's cool the way that hybrid takes the color form the bical and the pitcher shape from the gracilis. Why does that work? Why is it not the shape of the bical and the color of the gracilis? Ahh hybrids.

Anyway, nice photos, and good-looking plants!

Capslock

Hey vistary,

Nice plants! I also like your vft avatar! What are your neps' growing conditions?

Nice plants! You gotta love a bical.
smile.gif

looks good, but the lfs that bical pitcher is on looks awfully dry! may be why you havent been getting pitchers lately

Vistary, what conditions do you grow your bical in?

The bical x gracilis hybrid is called a N cantleyi, and I've heard that the fangs are absent.
I m quite a newbie to neps as compared to my experience with VFT.
I've invested quite a bit on my lowland nep setup. I got 3 misters with auto timers as well as a digital hygrometer and thermometer to get the conditions right. I dont keep them in a terrarium but rather a brightly lit(indirect sunlight) enclosure.

107_0737.jpg

Looks nice.

Curious though why it took a year to get a pitcher. Either the plant was in really bad shape when you got it or something isn't quite right. Can you give some details on temperatures day/night. Humidity levels and type and amount of lighting and distance to the plants?
Tony

I guess the plant was recovering from a shock due to shipping and handling. It may also be trying to adapt to it new environment.
temperatures day/night: 31C/26C
Humidity levels: 60-85
type and amount of lighting: diffused natural sunlight(transparent roof)

Are these conditions okay for a lowland setup?

Very nice setup you have there Vesitary.

Temperatures and moisture sound fine.

I am guessing that perhaps the light is not bright enough. How is the light hitting the roof of the chamber? Through a window? Is it outside sitting in the sun?? Can you describe more please.

Thank,
Tony

I think if the light was insufficient the pitcher wouldn't have that coloration. Immature N. bicalcarata often have fangs that aren't fully developed. The N. bicalcarata x gracilis doesn't have fangs although the mature pithcers have vestigal fangs like little bumps.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pond boy @ Sep. 13 2004,12:22)]Very nice setup you have there Vesitary.
I guess the moisture is not enough since most of the other tendril ends seem to be burnt.
I'm in the process of setting up an overhead misting system, i hope it will help improve on the humidity.
As for water timers, what brands do you guys use? (i've been asking this qn for 3 times, and have yet to get an answer.)
confused.gif

I don't use timers.. my misters are underbench and it is set to a thermostat.

If your concerned about using them for humidifying then perhaps a humidistat would be preferable?

A timer will not adjust for sunny days vs cloudy days.. humid days vs dry days.. cool Winter days vs hot Summer days...

I would also be concerned with overhead misting wetting the plants too much. You need a really fine mist.. fog really. and a very short frequent cycle. Otherwise you will potentially cause problems with the plants staying wet.

If you really insist on a timer...
To achieve that you need a cycle timer such as the
Intermatic 1hr cycle timer
This 1hr timer will give you a minimum 30 seconds on time. If you want something with less than 30 second bursts you need a faster cycle.. the fastest they make is a 10min cycle with a minimum 5 second on time. I would also set this up so that it runs only during the daylight hours.

Tony:
Thanks for your advice, but how does a humidistat work?
Do you connect it to a pump and a reservior OR to the tap faucet?
As for neps, shouldnt their leaves be moisten with a thin film of water all the time?

The humidistat works like a thermostat. Except you set if for humidity level %. When it drops below the set point it send power to the humidifier.. In this case your misters.

I don't know the exact setup you are planning but you could do either and connect your mister array to a reservior and pump or to a pressurized tap line. The humidistat would either turn the pump on and off as called for. Or it would open and close a solenoid valve on the pressurized tap line. Keep in mind that misters/foggers need high pressure to work best and produce a small water drop.

On the plant issue, no they don't need to be moistened all the time. My plants get watered every day or two in the morning and the leaves usually dry in a few hours. The rest of the day they are subject to high humidity but are not wet.

Back