What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

photos of my green house

it's all most done
12472047-1359-028001E0-.jpg

That looks beautiful. God, I want a house with a yard so I can do stuff like that. Is that Box on the side a fan or heater or something else? What are the dimensions?

killer lean to style! It appears much bigger than the ones people have in my area -how big is it? Did you DIY it or contract the work out? How much hassle was it to have the city give you a permit? I live in an apt/condo so I am stuck using terrariums for the time being... someday I'll sell and move way out in the middle of nowhere (where real homes & land are cheap) and get me a greenhouse too!

Shauntell I believe that is the evaporative cooler/swamp cooler which is basically a giant humidifier. Air flows through the grate which is filled with a pad or series of slightly slanted bars that water drips through. There is a big fan on the opposite side of the greenhouse which is what pulls air through the swamp cooler and cools/humidifies the air. But then, it might be a heater too... either way, I wish it were mine (the greenhouse I mean, not the swamp cooler) !
biggrin.gif

thanks you guys

swords is right it is a evaporative cooler

it 8x12foot not that big but it should be able to hold a lot of plants

we did all the work our self (me and my dad he can build all most anything he great isn't he)

in Colorado springs if it small you don't need a permit

It looks fantastic! I wish our outdoor temps. were compatible so that I could make use of a nice setup like that!

SWEET!! look really nice there... can't wait to see a pic of it full of plats!
smile.gif
tounge.gif

lates,
andrew

winters here are pretty normally around 10-20 degrees below zero (celcius). Summers are better, lately more like 15-30 above. But it's the winters that make a year-round greenhouse difficult!
wink.gif

Just curious Jeremiah how much did your swamp cooler cost? I am making a DIY one for my gh. Should work good. I have plans for it.

DIY, that's great! I love building stuff it looks fantastic (of course)!
smile.gif

Carnivorous Newbie the sun beating through the glass or poly plastic sheeting will warm a greenhouse during the day even in winter. It's mainly nighttime when you need a heater to keep the space warm. In a smaller room like 8 x 12 or so you would probably be able to use an electric space heater or two from Walmart or something. Big freestanding structures (like I wanna build - at least 30 x 100 sq ft) will need a huge heating system of 200,000-300,000 BTUs.

Nep G there are some plans for a swamp cooler in Orthos "All About Greenhouses". They aren't very detailed but it looks pretty easy to setup based on the diagram. Did you find the plans for yours online? I'd like to look them over if you have a URL to post.

This is true Swords. However, I'm not quite dedicated enough to CP's YET to start spending that kind of money! They'll have to do in the house for now.
wink.gif

Sorry josh but I got my plans/idea from Catalani. If I had a scanner I could post the photo of his swamp cooler. It is a VERY easy unit to make. Material you will need are:

2 vinil gutters
1 piece of PVC pipe cu to the length of your cooler
1 drain/return pipe
1 inlet pipe
1 submersible pump
1 large container
The pads which can be purchased form any large greenhouse company very cheap.

Very easy to set up and make. I am looking forward to it next year.

Man I wish that was connected to my room

Thats all I can think of saying.
smile.gif

Thanks nep G, that's exactly the same recipe as the diagram in the Greenhouse book. I was just wondering if there was anything other than what the book said but apparently not... Great!
I certainly won't pay over $1000 for an evaporative cooler kit when I already have a unused reef pump and two working hands and a home depot across the street!
smile.gif

Wow, you have a Home Depot across the street. My kid would hate me and would also have no clothing if I had a Home Depot across the street. Instead of going to the park we'd go there. Luckily I have no car and it's all the way across town.
Jeremiah, it looks decievingly bigger in the picture. What am I saying... 8x12 is huge compared to the 2 10 gallon tanks that I have. Again, I just have to say it's gorgeous.

Very nice, I like the glazing and the evap unit. Good fit & finish.
My old aluminum Monster is a tad less pretty.

Thought I would share my little piece of botanical heavin with you, Pic. taken at night sorry...

GreenHouse.jpg

You'l find that you can out grow almost anything given time.
I have to build something larger, SOON!

Again Well done!

I was just looking again this morning, that is realy nice. BTW what is the inside height?

Ghrey

sorry Ghrey I have not looked at my post lately

the height is 8' down to 6'

Lots of space.

Do not wory about reply speed I am frequently away far longer.

Back