What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's a photo tour of a strange succulent genus called Adromischus that I've been collecting. A botanist named Tolken (!) put them in with Crassula but I think the Adros are way cooler!

Adromischus cristatus - you can't see it in the photo but there are aerial roots all up the stalk, they're reddish brown like coco fiber. It has a bloom starting down in the rosette.
andromischuscristatus.jpg

Adromischus filicaulis marlothii - it's growing a nice waxy coating. can't tell if the red nodule is a flower stalk or a new leaf in red color due to the lights, have to wait and see.
andromischusfilicaulismarlothii.jpg

Adromischus filicaulis v. "Tricolor" - Bright light causes the red spotting, new leaves will have a great pattern! I didn't deform those leaves it came that way.
andromischustricolor.jpg

Adromischus triflorus - The top is starting to get the spotting, a few more weeks it should have nice red splatters. There is either a new leaf or a bloom at the top forming.
andromischustriflorus.jpg

Adromischus sp. ? #1 - It's in bloom and it's got a great thick waxy cuticle, that looks like reptilian scale patterns
andromischussp1.jpg

Adromischus sp. ? #2 ex. "Larvonus" This ones gonna be real pretty when it grows in under my lights! Look it how the newest leaf glows red like a ruby! :D
andromischussp2exlarvonus.jpg

Adromischus marianiae This species group is in absolute chaos thanks to Tolken lumping numerous species into this one. They may interbreed but the variety of forms is stunning but all are called "A. marianiae" I only have a small number of forms

Adromischus marianiae - the type species in bloom! Great fleshy blue-grey leaves with speckles and a scoop shaped depression!
andromischusmarianae.jpg

And now the plants who were combined as varieties of A. marianiae even though they look very different:

Adromischus marianiae v. "Alveolatus" - I thought it was A. marianiae v herrei but that species has big papillae all over the cones these papillae are smaller. That's a dead flower stalk that was on it when it arrived, hopefully it'll bloom again this year so I can see it.

andromischusalveolatus.jpg

Adromischus marianiae v. "Immaculatus" - this one has two blooms popping up and is starting to color.
andromischusmarianaeimmaculatus.jpg

Adromischus marianiae v. "Little Spheroid" - This one came as an olive green plant with no waxy cuticle and look what color it is now! It's just like in the plant in the habitat photo of the variety in the Adromischus book (Cactus File Volume #3 page 62 the pic of the plant in habitat not the plant in cultivation shown next to it). That makes me happy! :D. It's also got new growth and blooms emerging!
andromischuslittlespheroid.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the plants!

If anyone else here is growing Adros that are different varieties or species than these I'd love to do trades since leaves always fall off when I repot, I've got leaves of most of these available for trade (US growers only sorry, I let my permit expire... ).

Very nice collection you have there. I especially like your Adromischus cristatus.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice looking plants.

If I had room I'd grow some cactus and succulents. There are mainly interesting looking ones.

Thanks guys, I only like the weird stuff myself, there's a lot of weird cacti & succulents, I like the Mesembs best for weirdness and variety of shapes. My Adromischus is one of those collections that "just happened" cos I was buying plants based on their shapes.

Adromischus are supposed to be hard to keep but they've done just fine so far (only a month or two) I repot everything I get into a mix of Shultz aquatic plant soil (baked clay bits), perlite/pumice a bit of crushed limestone and some coir - I probably don't add enough coir to even bother saying I add it (10% or less). The water just pours right through it but the aquatic plant soil soaks it up quickly and holds it in for a day or two before drying up. Maybe that's similar to a rubble filled crack in a boulder that they grow in in the wild. All the websites say not to use peat on cacti & succulents and almost everything I've gotten was potted in plain peat...???

Back