What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo of Sarracenia seed?

I have never seen the seed of a Sarracenia plant. Does anyone have a photo with a scale reference for size estimation? I would really like to see a photo. Mine have not produced seed yet. I get flowers, but no seed so far.

Here's one of my recently harvested seed pods.

Nice full seed pod. Each of the 5 lobes had about 80/90 seeds. Sorry, no scale but Mach has you covered in his post above.
1005215800x601.jpg

1005210800x601.jpg

I have never seen the seed of a Sarracenia plant. Does anyone have a photo with a scale reference for size estimation? I would really like to see a photo.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm
Scroll down to the picture "Sarracenia seeds over a 1 mm ruler".

Mine have not produced seed yet. I get flowers, but no seed so far.

Only a few insects are good pollinators for Sarracenia.
I think bumblebees are the best pollinators.

So if no bumblebees are flying in your garden during flowering time or if you keep your Sarracenia in a greenhouse, you need to hand-pollinate your plants. If you are not sure where to put the pollen, look on the same page at the picture "Female Flower Parts" and transfer the pollen to the "stigma".

BTW: Even with hand pollination you will perhaps get much less seeds per capsule than you can see in the picture of Fred Ps posting.

From last month:

001-3.jpg

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Sarracenia.htm
Scroll down to the picture "Sarracenia seeds over a 1 mm ruler".

Only a few insects are good pollinators for Sarracenia.
I think bumblebees are the best pollinators.

So if no bumblebees are flying in your garden during flowering time or if you keep your Sarracenia in a greenhouse, you need to hand-pollinate your plants. If you are not sure where to put the pollen, look on the same page at the picture "Female Flower Parts" and transfer the pollen to the "stigma".

BTW: Even with hand pollination you will perhaps get much less seeds per capsule than you can see in the picture of Fred Ps posting.

I think too, that there typically have to be sarracenia native to the area for the local insects to know how to get into the flowers. I grow all of my sarracenia outdoors and I never got seed until I started to hand pollenate them.

I have seen other conversations on the topic on this forum and other's results are typical I believe.

Thanks all. You have been very helpful.

Next question: Are Sarracenia self fertile? Or do I need to cross pollinate?

I have hand pollinated squash plants when I wanted to save the seed for a particular variety and didn't want to get cross pollination. I have also hand pollinated cactus plants. I use a fine paint brush to transfer pollen in the cacti. Do I do the same on the Sarracenia?

Edit: I wrote this before looking at Kulamauiman's link. This must answer all my questions. It will be saved as a favorite. Thanks for posting it. Need to quit and get to sleep. Camping tomorrow night.

Back