What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phalaenopsis

I have a Phalaenopsis that is still in flower. But the leaves are droppy and soft. What's wrong with it? Should I repot the plant and cut the flower off? Thanks.

Ok, so around 68 and up? Well I am not sure, was thinking maybe it was too cold. Is it watered ok? Perhaps it dried out and you didn't catch it?

it's watered at least once a week...

but also one more thing, in the same pot, there was another Phalaenopsis but it died due to root rot and still remains in the same pot.

It could be the same problem... many orchids dislike periods of being wet. Never leave the center of the plant wet over night. One of my paphs is having the same problem but it'll recover, it's send up a new shoot that's growing about and inch every 3 weeks. ^_^

Like Mijako said, don't leave them wet for extended periods of time or in the crown of the plant. Over winter mine took a brutal beating, but are recovering. My big double Phal (2 really big plants) are flower again from the older spikes.

Alright thanks Dustin and Mijako10.

I should add, if the potting mix is like mushy and stinky I would repot it.

If one already died in there, I'd definitely repot. Remember that that you'll grow the best orchids if you grow the best roots.

Now that the humid season has returned, it's the perfect time to repot. That plant wants to grow roots and leaves now and will have plenty of time to build its strenth for the next blooming.

Back