What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Petiolaris complex

Hi,
For those of you who grow these, do you have these Drosera sitting in water like most, or on the drier side(Like tuberous are supposed to be grown)?
I was wondering if there was a way to wick water into the bottom of the pot more slowly than sphagnum and peat mixes do(maybe just fill the bottom of th pot with straight sand or perlite?).
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]do you have these Drosera sitting in water like most, or on the drier side(Like tuberous are supposed to be grown)?

When in active growth, I have these Drosera sitting in water like most. When the plants display signs of dormancy, I keep them on the drier side. Lately, I let them dry out a day or two between waterings when the plants display dormancy characteristics.

-Homer

Could you describe those characteristics?

Yes. The most recent example is my ordensis. It has been growing for over a year until just recently it started producing shorter and shorter leaves. This occured without any change in my watering schedule. If you are able to obtain Lowrie's Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol. 3, he shows a perfect example of this on pp. 211. Now this isn't a true dormancy, but a dormancy "characteristic" in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

Homer

Back