What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pet scorpion

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
The almighty Emperor scorpion, Pandinus imperator. I've loved these guys since I was a kid. Got my first one in High School, just LOVE scorpions. Will be out scorpion hunting in the coming weeks :)

5112478792_1361dbe530_b.jpg

5111880613_3e33292bb8_b.jpg

Oh wow, it's beautiful! Love that sheen to it!

Nice! Is it a female? It looks sorta chunky, if it's a new arrival maybe she's gravid & you'll have babies soon. The one I was looking at at Petco (but hadn't gotten up the courage to buy) had babies - I shoulda bought it!

I would like to do an fully planted emperor scorpion tank but I'm sort of afraid of things with stingers after my last bee sting and the funny recation I had to it . I started kinda tripping out for a few minutes and had to go lay down for a while. My aunt who's an EMT said I could be developing an allergy to bee venom even though I had been stung plenty as a kid and had no problems. I've heard that Scorpion venom is very similar to bee venom so I've been denying myself the pleasure of having one or two.

Don't know if it's a male or a female, but I don't think it's an adult yet at only 4.5" I once had a monster 7" emperor, and she had babies. I'm afraid of getting stung too, so I don't handle my other scorpions. But with emperors, I'm be more concerned about getting pinched than being stung, you'd really have to provoke it. It'd be awesome if you made an emperor habitat, don't worry about the stinger, or simply just don't handle them.

Are they real pinchy? Do they snap at everything or only if irritated? I see people pick them up with the feeding tongs by the tail when they need to move them but mainly I'm just wondering about the ease of working on the plants in the tank.

7" would be cool! How are they measured - from where to where?

Very beautiful Scorpion there Larry. I need to get one of those some day, LOL. I'll have to show you some new pics of my scorp.

Are they real pinchy? Do they snap at everything or only if irritated? I see people pick them up with the feeding tongs by the tail when they need to move them but mainly I'm just wondering about the ease of working on the plants in the tank.

7" would be cool! How are they measured - from where to where?

I've kept many emperors, never been stung, and only been pinched once. They pinch when you get them mad or when they think they're about to fall. Don't need tongs, I always use bare hands to pick them up by the tail or put my hand down and scoot it onto my hand. When picking them up by the tail, they will sometimes curl up and try to pinch you. If you pick them up fast enough and put them on your hand or container, they never have a chance to pinch you.

I measure from mouth to tip of stinger and add maybe half and inch because the claws do stick out a little at resting position. I don't know how others do it.

Very beautiful Scorpion there Larry. I need to get one of those some day, LOL. I'll have to show you some new pics of my scorp.

Yeah man, post more pics, I love Androctonus, though I would never keep one.

Wow, gorgeous scorp, I am going to have to pick me up a few of those at the next Atlanta expo in January :D

I would like to do an fully planted emperor scorpion tank but I'm sort of afraid of things with stingers after my last bee sting and the funny recation I had to it . I started kinda tripping out for a few minutes and had to go lay down for a while. My aunt who's an EMT said I could be developing an allergy to bee venom even though I had been stung plenty as a kid and had no problems. I've heard that Scorpion venom is very similar to bee venom so I've been denying myself the pleasure of having one or two.
When I was a kid, I was stung by a wasp and developed a bad reaction that required a trip to the hospital. I was stung many times both before & after this experience by multiple species of bees - never had another reaction (said as he knocks on wood). You never know ... :-O Just make sure your phone is working (so you can call 911), or have a few epi-pens around or just don't get stung ... :poke:

Back