What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pervillei secretions?

thez_yo

instigator
One morning after getting up and looking at my nepenthes, I noticed that my pervillei had these little pinprick sized dew drops on it, but it wasn't dew. None of the other plants had any sort of water on them so it wasn't dew or rain spray or anything... is this some well documented feature that I don't know about or something? Here's pics (cuz it did happen :-)))

PB220104.jpg

PB220105.jpg

PB220106.jpg

Didjoo lick it?

Liz is right, we wont know for sure until you do a taste test. If you haven't tasted your neps then you don't love them!

I have never heard of anything like that, but it certainly does look like some sort of secretion, it looks awful uniform. Though you would think there would be some kind of visible gland that would accompany them.

Nope, not gonna taste any plant that cost more than $15 because that's just...well, I could get a vastly more delicious Ahi steak for money like that :p

Yeah that's why I was wondering because it looks too uniform to be spray of any kind.

What!? Wont taste Nepenthes nectar?! Unspeakable!

Nepenthes nectar....= soooo good

Yeah, nectar is good. I remember one time my mouth went numb for a while when I tried some nectar from my truncata.

I've noticed a few of these (much less than your pics) on my N. aristolochioides.

Interesting - never noticed that on my aristo. Any idea as to what triggers it? My pervillei isn't *always* coated in dew so I'm wondering what brought it on. Hehe...maybe it's hungry and I should feed it more..

Yeah, nectar is good. I remember one time my mouth went numb for a while when I tried some nectar from my truncata.

if you like Nepenthes nectar, you should try some Brugmansia nectar- pure amazing, and in my experience, none of that psychoactivity associated with the genus... but don't quote me on that!

CJ

Back