What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peaty ping

i was trying to put some seedling d.intermedia 'cuba' into my potted teerarium, till the pot of intermedia fell and the dirt went all over my p.ionantha! I lost a few seedling intermdia and i cleaned off most of soil on the ping's leaves. will the acidity cause problems to ping?

Hi cephalotus88,
P.ionantha is from the FL panhandle and it grows in acidic conditions. It should have no problems with acidity.

C88, I have had it happen many,many,many,times with my own P.Ioantha it has done no harm whatsoever. You may not have any grease on the leaves for a while or unitl new ones grow out. Also I have a question you two. Does the P.Ioantha go dormant in it's native habitat? I also heard that P.Ioantha is an Endangered species. Is that true???

Hi nepenthes gracilis,
P.ionantha doesn't truely go dormant in its habitat. It slows down in growth for the winter much like P.primuliflora. It is true that P.Ionantha is an endangered species listed on CITES list. Hope this answers your questions:)

hey nep g, ionantha is a fairly long lived, non dormancy needimg ping. its endangered, but its legal to sell if cultivated artifically (not field collected)

Thanks to you both! Will it hurt it in culitvation to not be in a Semi-Temperate environment? You know Nepenthes Conditions is what it is in.

my ionantha grows in a non semi temperate terrarium. It lives with heliamphora with no probs!
smile.gif

Back