What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat

I have always purchased the smaller bags of peat and have never had a problem. But I just moved into a house and so I decided to buy one of the large bales of peat thinking it will last me longer. Well the bag seems to have alot of sticks mixed in with the peat. Is this common or did I just find an inferior product? Is there and easy way to remove the sticks other then by hand? Thanks
Craig

Hey!  You're in your new home!  Congratulations!

Sounds as if you have an inferior bag. I generally purchase the Canadian Peat (slightly more acidic) from Home Depot and maybe you purchased a peat from a different store harvested from a different location?

I do get twigs and sometimes chunks of wood in my baled peat but not so much so that it is a major inconvenience. I go through it with a rake to get any large pieces and then hand pick them out. I don't know of any way to get them out other than manually. I suppose there must be some sort of a commercial sieve but I surely don't own one of those.

What I do find incredibly annoying and beyond time consuming is having to pick all the straw and such out of LFS. I spend more time picking through my  LFS than I care to admit.  I haven't found any other brands of it so every time I buy it I have to allocate time to pick through it.

Ok well as long as other people get sticks also I guess I can live with it. I will just have to pick through it, I have to do the same with the LFS I get also. Thanks for the reply Laura, I think you are the only one that ever seems to reply to my posts! j/k Maybe it would be easier for me to write down all my questions and just send them to you. On another note, what happened to Crunch havent seen him on here in awhile?

I can vouch for what Laura has said. I, too, buy the Canadaian peat from H.D. with sticks. Rinse well!

Yes, usually only little chunks, but the odd stick is totally par for the course from my experience as well

Say Craig, I think our interests just happen to parallel each others. I am newer to CPs so everything is fresh on the brain so that doesn't hurt either. I ordered my first CP in 2003 so this is all very exciting to me. As far as it being "easier for me to write down all my questions and just send them to you", (Tee he) not a good idea as I am more into conservation and restoration so your best odds as pertain to CP questions asked of me would be that you would only get an answer/opinion/suggestion back to 1 out of 5 of your questions.

About Crunch... I pulled him from the forums for a bit. Nothing he did wrong. He's one of the youngest kids here.  He just turned 10 about a week ago. I'm not for censorship but I am for common sense and common courtesy. Additionally, PAK summed it up when she commented once that, "Its mainly EDUCATION as well as fun and fellowship with like-minded growers. There are times that subjects come up publicly that really should be private.”  A few posts by several adolescents and a few teens were just blatantly in poor taste in my humble opinion and appeared to me to be beyond inapporpriate for this type of a site regardless of one's age. I feel really bad but I exercised parental right by locking him out. Maybe next year or when those posts fall way out of sight. Kids at his age are naturally curious and I didn't want to deal with questions that might arise if he "stumbled" across any of the posts that I found to be objectionable. Crunch does have a few questions though and I told him he could e-mail you, Glenn, BobZ, or Ron Lane.  There are many others but he knows you four.  Other than that, I have printed out entire threads for him from here and I lay them on his bed for him to read so he is still learning. Overall, Terra is one of the four best sites on the Internet with AskJeevies for Kids being another good one, as well as Yuckie Science Kids Discover, and How Stuff Works. There are literally millions of sites on the net so that speaks volume.

Sticks in peat? yes, all the time. Only makes sense that sticks,leaves and other stuff will fall into bogs, makes further sense that they would get harvested right along with the peat. Pick them out or not, entirely up to you and the plant you are growing as well. I have found it doesn't really hurt for some of the ones that preffer a chunkier mix to leave a few peices in (just make sure to sterilize the peat first esspeccially when leaving the chunks in!)

Laura, I applaud your parental decision, though it is a little disturbing that you had to make it. My daughter isn't old enough to read yet, but she likes having some of the topics read to her so for now anyway I can sensor as I go.

It's not all the younger members though, even some of the adults seem to forget that there are those who shouldn't be hearing some of what is said. I have been guilty of that myself a time or two. It seems though that there are a few younger members on this forum that show a maturity level well above their age which leads to forgetting (at least for me) that I am not always talking to another adult. Solved by a post-it reminder stuck to my monitor! Works rather well actually!

Peat and repeat were sittin' on a fence....

Hey Maehem, isn't this awesome, "there are a few younger members on this forum that show a maturity level well above their age"! There are quite a few younger members from whom I have learned so much and I am more appreciative than what many of them may realize.  They blow me away collectively with their knowledge and insight. I am so glad they are here. Isn't it absolutely wonderful that such an incredible range of ages is represented here!

It is incredible, and I am eternally thankfull to everyone here (regardless of age) who has helped me learn so much.. and I am even more grateful that they are still helping!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ May 05 2005,12:41)]Hey Maehem, isn't this awesome, "there are a few younger members on this forum that show a maturity level well above their age"! There are quite a few younger members from whom I have learned so much and I am more appreciative than what many of them may realize.  They blow me away collectively with their knowledge and insight. I am so glad they are here. Isn't it absolutely wonderful that such an incredible range of ages is represented here!
The teens, with the exception of BigCarnivourKid, have taught me how to use the IB codes, upload and post pictures, put quotes in PM's, and get my cat as an avatar.
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies looks like it is just an inconvenence that I will just have to deal with.

Back