What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat humus

Hi, I would say "No". On a quick web search I came up with this page. The page I found
If you read that it says " ORGANIC PEAT MOSS
Also called "Peat Humus" or "Humas" and looks like black dirt. Increases the water holding capacity of soils but most important function is to add bacteria to the soil. It is not a fertilizer but has a slight trace of nutrients. This is the same kind of material as home compost. "
First off it says it has a slight trace of nutrients.. As we know, that's bad for CPs. Also, it says here it looks like black dirt, that seams it won't be too fluffy like we usally like in our CP mix. And the bacteria, I think that is to break down decaying stuff... If I recall correctly that releases something into the dirt that woulndn't be good.
Anyway, my answer to can you use it for CP? I say No.
Hope it helps,
Andrew

I do not like using peat of any sorts. When I do use peat my plants have stunted growth. I agree with adnedarn. I have never tried humus peat but I have tried humus with Arabic bread *ummmmm*.
smile_n_32.gif

There are some pretty good arabic bakery's in Dearborn MI
biggrin.gif

"Humus" is generally a rich soil...so that sounds like rich soil mixed with peat moss. Not good. Only pure peat or mixed with some other nutrient-poor material like sand, vermiculite or perlite.

Back