What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pc woes

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
About a week ago our home pc, during boot up, has consistently been inconsistent in getting through to desktop. It often locks up and neither CTRL Alt Del nor pushing the power button does anything. I have to literally unplug it from the wall outlet and start over over. Sometimes it requires a second or third time of unplugging. To my knowledge I don't have a virus, but... I've run sytem tools (disk clean up, scan disk, and defrag) as well as As-Aware, but there has been no change. I think, my son has added a new program or game during this time period, but I can't say for sure that this is the source. Any suggestions?

If you're running Windows XP you could try the "system restore" feature using a restore (point) date from before you had the problem.

Good luck.
smile.gif

Scott,
Sounds like you have been having all sorts of problems with your PC. Has it been reformatted lately?
If not, you should come down and bring the tower with you and we will reformat it.

Did not like my post number, had to post again.

Gee, when I tuned in it read 667 or 2/3! not to worry!

Dumb question: What is reformatting? Is that the same thing as I refer to as a pc lobotomy? A reinstall? Earlier last year I had that done. I may take you up on the offer. Thanks! I think I still remember the way.

I don't have XP, just a lowly Windows 98. but it IS capable of doing that snapshot thingy and go back 3 days. I need it to go back a week, though.

Your problems sounds very familiar to me. I had a battle with spyware that was causing me a lot of problems. I reformatted it and it seemed to be fixed. Then it started doing the same thing you described. It would lock up when I started it. When it locked up the power supply would make a squealing sound. It would always freeze at the same place during start up. I would turn it off and restart and it would get a little farther in the startup process. I would keep doing it until it made it all the way through start up. When this first started, it took about 4 times to get it running. near the end it was 10 or 15. I replaced the power supply and now it would start up at all. I think the mother board is now bad.

Do you know the specs on your PC Scott?
Such as how old, manufacturer (unless you are like me and builds your own), processor, memory, etc etc?

It's a Gateway G6-400c, 1998.... Not sure about processor or memory. How do I find out?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Jan. 05 2005,3:33)]Did not like my post number, had to post again.
haha, 666..

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Jim, you might want to try booting in safe mode.

I'm looking at XP and can not remember what it looks like on 98, but it's there somewhere. Click on the Start button, find the and click on the Control Panel. It should open up a long list of options. Click on System and under the General Tab at the bottom it should list your processor speed and amount of RAM installed on your computer.

Did a quick search and did scaned quickly through this.
http://www.comp-buyer.co.uk/buyer....0c.html

Start> Run> msinfo32

Thanks, P-man! It says 64 MB RAM. I tried tapping the F8 key from the moment I pushed the power button. Not only would it refuse to lock up, it wouldn't go into safe mode. Now that's a first. Tried copy & paste of the info, but can't get past highlighting it.

Ozzy, the symptoms have similarity, but not identical. No squeaky noise and it has locked up while checking Email and shutting down, once.

For some reason it hasn't locked up for a couple days now. Why wouldn't it go into safe mode? Not that I think the problem is solved....

Did you try the F8 key when the computer is first booting. That is where you need to try that.
Sometimes it's the Esc key or another F# key, depending on your BIOS.

The best thing to do is to go out and buy a MAC!!
smile_n_32.gif

"It said Windows XP or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"
smile.gif

Seriously, random lockups are caused by a faulty power supply a lot of the time. How old is your computer?
You can get a new PSU for about $20 and they are easy to fit.

Hi It sounds like you need a major upgrade.I rebuilt mine recently and its so much easier with all the newer technology.
used my old tower but inside she,s brand new and if you look around its cheeper to upgrade than to by a new set.You will be amazed at what you can find at decent prices
smile.gif

Bye for now Julian

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Jan. 06 2005,12:46)]"It said Windows XP or better on the box, so I bought a Mac"
smile.gif

Seriously, random lockups are caused by a faulty power supply a lot of the time. How old is your computer?
You can get a new PSU for about $20 and they are easy to fit.
What is a PSU? The pc is six years old. I am unfamiliar with doing anything more than changing sound cards and mother boards. For the past 3 days it hasn't locked up. Having been a faithful caller to the Gateway technicians over the years, I have become quite familiar with tapping the F8 Key
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I'd say thet know my name, but you know how it goes.... it's a different tech every time and always from another country! Still open to suggestions. And thank you all for responding.
smile.gif

When was the last time you popped the cover off to blow the dust and dirt out of the power supply and cooling fans? Normally a computer just shuts down when it gets to hot, but electronics is strange creatures at times. If it's been a while, I suggest you do it outside as the resulting dust cloud can be spectacular.

I'm seeing some congruous suggestions associated with power supply.

Back