What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pc monitor died?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My home pc was making these clicking noises that sounded like static electricity, and then the screen went black.I tried the Degauss buttont to see if that would do anything, but it didn't. Do you think my monitor just quit? It is 6 years old.

Sounds like it's pooped.
I know a little about computers but have friends who know more. I was just talking to one on the phone and threw out this problem. Here's how he explained it... "Your computer moniter has a wire that runs down and connects to your motherboard . In some models this wire attaches very close to the motherboard's heat sink. This heat sink acts, unintentionally, as a capacitor over time. In old cpu's enough dust can build up to bridge this gap(between wire and sink) If enough voltage is stored in the heat sink it may leap to the motherboard near the moniter connection shorting/destroying your moniter."

Sorry Jim,

Zac

If you've checked all your connections and still nothing then I would have to agree that it's gone. At least montitors are a little bit cheaper than they used to be (especially CRT's).

~ Brett

So it appears that my tower possibly caused it? The green power light from the monitor still works. I just get no screen. I presume I will need to open up the tower and do some cleaning as well, just to make sure I don't have another set up for failure. Yes, at least it was the monitor and not the CPU. Thanx!

Back