What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well I grow two different types of passion flower. Passiflora incarnata and p. Caerulea. The p. Caerulea does ever flower, but produces beautiful foliage so I don't mind. My p. Incarnata is at the end of its first year of growth and had a flower, now is producing a fruit with , I hope, viable seeds. I plan to grow the p. Incarnata out either way and clone it.

Well here's my vines

2bb83700f62587feeedc30cc2120eb31.jpg

P. Caerulea

9745e6c5751a96850a5783c8dfc13a2d.jpg

P. Incarnata ( self pollinating strain )

c49a0ccb0bfb6efea2ef3c76e0fe9139.jpg

Fruit production on the p. Incarnata via self pollination.

2845f2f57e91317f3d0a14c2b321b0bf.jpg

Now it's Inside due to the cold weather, finishing up that fruit.

65cd90594bf93e0a65146e9566806403.jpg

Another small p. Incarnata. Seed grown same batch as the flowering one but most likely different phenotype, possibly not self pollinating.

I love my passion flowers. They are cold hardy and do well in pots. They love to grow big and tall grabbing on to string or hooks but they take well to trimming and enjoy being trained to grow where ever you want them to braiding and being taught to grow around pourches is common. They appreciate a large root space and are reluctant to flower without it, but will still do so in a fair sized pot ( the smaller p.Incarnat should flower in that pot ). They require feeding only once a month and you should hold back on feeding during the time they should be flowering. They are also resistant to flower with too much nitrogen. A no nitrogen fertilizer would work during flowering and fruit production. They are nice house plants or for outdoors they can survive winters and freezing temps if they are in the ground from spring and are covered with mulch prior to first frost, in the fall.

Cheers

Back