What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passiflora

I recently bought 2 Passiflora Vines, really really cute flowers and a really exotic fruit!, but while i was searching on the net for some care tips i found that Passion Fruit has a high amount of Deadly CYANIDE!!!!! AHHHH and i was planning to do some Passionfruit Juice!! Ahhhh! Cyanide! Does somebody has some information on this topic???

I have been told that Passion Fruit, and Peaches, have cyanide naturally in the pit.

As well as cherrys(especialy pits and leaves) and all stone fruit. I wouldn`t worry as long as you are eating the edible part.

I LOVE passionflower juice....
I just got a baby P. incarnata :p
they say that they attract gulf fritilaries or something and I can't wait until I have tons of caterpillars
biggrin.gif

But i heard that eating Passion fruit is specially dangerious. there are a few reports of death people due to cyanide in passion fruit. oh....thats dangerious!

If you eat the seeds. Did you know that arsenic cames from apple seeds?

wow, interesting...

cigarettes have cyanide, ammonia, tons of stuff in the smoke. i wouldn't worry about eating some fruit
smile.gif

Actually Rose it`s cyanide in the apple seeds(wich gives them a almond like taste). I love reading up in books on the toxic propertys od plants and there effects on humans.(Always checking out to see if the library has any new ones)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Serebi @ Oct. 05 2004,9:46)]But i heard that eating Passion fruit is specially dangerious. there are a few reports of death people due to cyanide in passion fruit. oh....thats dangerious!
Um...........no.

True, SOME are poisonous(and CAN kill you) but others are not.
I knwo for a fact that Passiflora incarta IS edible.
Dino

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Copper @ Oct. 20 2004,11:51)]If you eat the seeds.  Did you know that arsenic cames from apple seeds?
I have ate the seeds about 2 or 3 months ago, does that mean Im going to die?
smile_l_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
lol

they do contain those chemicals, but not in a large enough amount to kill you.

so eating apple seeds is fine.

just eat the flesh of the fruit and youre good to go.

dont go chopping up a ton of passion fruit seeds and eating it.
smile_m_32.gif

Well so every time i may throw out the seeds and thats all....

Well my Passiflora gave me the first bloom since i bought it from the nursery it was HUGE but i decided to not pollinate it since i want the plant to have a strong root system before it produces fruit. besides winter is coming

Back