What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pardon my newbness

newb here, just built 2 terrariums for some neps, darlingtonias, rubras, drosera, and flytraps.  Went in head first, without enough research.  Didn't leave them in pots,(I know, I know)   have about 2 inches of gravel at bottom and then about 3-4 inches of sphagnum moss.  What I'm wondering is how much water is enough or too much?  Should there be water at the bottom in the gravel for roots to reach?  any input would be much appreciated.

Hi an welcome to the forums! In general, the media should be kept moist. Also, while most CP's typically come from warm, moist climates, humidity shouldn't be the biggest focus. I would stronglu suggest that you crack the lid on the terraria open for air circulation. I speak from experience of thinking I was doing my VFT's afavor by enclosing them. They experienced a mini-greenhouse effect and strated dying, until I corrected it. With the exception of the Neps, VFT's & Sarracenia pitcher plants, if kept inside, do best in what they call open tray - a pot sitting in a container of water (rain, distilled, RO, deionized). they do even better if kept outside, which is something you may want to consider in march. What sundews do you have. the guidance is more specific to what you have. some do best warm and humid. Some do best sitting open tray at a window sill. some do well outside.

thanks for the reply....not sure on the Drosera (bought it from Lowes):cool: whats the chance of it surviving in the same terrarium with the neps, butterwort, and VFT's keeping in mind their not in pots. ? The other terrarium has Darlingtonia, VFT, and Rubra. Only being planted around a month ago, would it be better to put them in pots now?

The drosera I got from Lowes is a lanced leaf if yours is too keep it out of direct sunlight this will burn it up fast. I keep mine off to side of window useing the other large plants I have for shade.

Lance leafed, Blu? D. adelae? D. adelae doesn't mind the sun, even full sun. The heat is the problem. Adelae loves sun. Its cousin D. schizandra on the other hand, cannot take sun at all. Put this one in the sun, and you have killed it! It does well in really bright shade
(you can even get red tentacles on schizandra using bright shade), to full shade. Cannot water d. schizandra from above either as that will kill it too. But adelae, has none of those problems, and should grow well as long as it doesn't get too hot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (postalgriff @ Feb. 03 2005,8:37)]thanks for the reply....not sure on the Drosera (bought it from Lowes):cool: whats the chance of it surviving in the same terrarium with the neps, butterwort, and VFT's keeping in mind their not in pots. ? The other terrarium has Darlingtonia, VFT, and Rubra. Only being planted around a month ago, would it be better to put them in pots now?
Okay, I know the square pot sof which you speak. There isn't a blanket answer because unless one knows how long these pots have been in stock, and thus neglect, the answer would be different. If they were just brought in, I would say, get every thing into individual post right now. They haven't been weekened by lack of air circulation or being dried out or mold or... But if they have been kicking around awhile, I would go more slowly. I would open them by day and close them at night for a few days and see how it goes. If they don't wither, particularly the Darlingtonia, then you can open it up 24/7. Those min-terraria are a nice idea, but they don't work on a permanent basis, especially when they combine plants with somewhat different summer requirements and even more pronounced winter requirements.

First of all: Once those things get older they are going to squish on the bottom if you don't get yourself a deeper medium.

Second: Keep the soil damp AT ALL TIMES!!! Use distilled water.

Third: LFS (long fibered sphagnum) is a good choice for medium, but i typically use 1/2 peat and 1/2 perlite. For neps i use 1/2 sphagnum and 1/2 osmunda (fern) fiber.

If you put them in pots, then keep them on the tray method (in standing water) people will advise against doing that with neps, but it should be okay as long as it isn't overly waterlogged for a looooooong time.

Neps (highland, which you have): Day: 75-85. Night: 50-60 (more tolerant can go up to 65ish at night, you most likely have these). Humidity, keep high, but leave open air circulation.

Sarrs, VFT, and Darlingtonia: 70-90F. Dormancy: 40-50F. I have found that they will find dormancy fine on a windowsill though.

Drosera: No idea. I need to know the species first. Post a pic if you can.

Hope i helped.
smile.gif

Welcome to the forums.

Dave
cool.gif

thanks for the info, is it ok to use reverse osmosis water?

Yes, I use R/O water exclusively, and it is suitable for all cps as far as I know.

Welcome to the forums!!

Capslock

Back