What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paranoid? ? or just being prepared,...

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid or maybe I'm just being careful but here in Singapore it is either extremely sunny and hot or pouring torrential rain!
Growing nepenthes outside in pots is therefrore quite challenging. One minute they are swimming, the next drooping and wilting in bone-dry pots. The problem is when you go away for a period of time, even a week. Do you "risk" leaving them and hoping it rains sufficiently or do you try to rig up some type of automatic watering device??
How do you do it?
Me? plastic bags! I'll let you know in early February if it works,....
nep1.jpg

nep2.jpg

nep3.jpg

Happy growing, Neil.

Neil, Looks like a good idea but I am only afraid that fungus might be a real concern.

Guqin, how do you water your plants when you are not around?
I'd like to get ideas from everyone.
We've already seen Jalan Kayu's invention for sundew etc. I'm sure it would also work for nepenthes but if you have 20 or more pots then it mightbe a bit of a headache.
Cindy - - - that's why we need the cp hotel!!!!
Happy growing everyone, Neil.

Hi Neil,

Do you have a water hose outside you house? If you allow me, I can go to water them once a week.

Neps in plastic bags under the hot sun will cook them well; When I were away for 8 days in Nov last year, I use a floating mister on a large basin controller by timer coupled a rotating fan to distribute the water mist. The timer was programmed to switch on for 15 minute every hour during the hottest period of the day.

When are you leaving for England? Call me, if you are still in Singapore.

JK

Why not the indoors if you're going away for a while? Somewhere with filtered light to keep them alive and still keep the plastic bag to keep the moisture in. Moist is the key word...not wet.
smile.gif

Otherwise, a part-time gardener like JK is your best bet.
tounge.gif
My plants are always watered by my dad when I go abroad. But then again, he almost drown my neps...

Well, the test for me will come this April when I will be away in Paris for five weeks on a job attachment. I think I will move some of my plants to my GF's house and meanwhile, I am training her to keep the plants going. I will let her keep a spare Nep. and Drosera and see whether she has green fingers or not. If not, I will have a problem!
smile.gif

Let me know nearer the time guqin if you need help.
Jalan Kayu, Thanks for the advice you gave me on the phone and your very kind offer.
Next time if I go away, I'll keep your offer in mind.
I've decided to remove them from the bags since :-
1) I don't have any where indoors to keep them as Cindy suggested. It sounds like a good idea,
and 2) as Jalan Kayu says they tend to get quite hot if left outside in the bags.
The compost is now soaked, and they are standing on plastic bags so they will get some rain water if it rains but not too much.
I'm flying tomorrow 9am. Fingers crossed!
Happy growing, Neil.

Best of wishes, Neil. Take care.

Hi Neil,

If you were to log-in from England.

The weather is on your side, it is now (23/1 10:00am) raining island wide.
laugh.gif

JK

Back