What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paralyze/Shock

Hi,
want to ask something about neps going into shock or getting 'paralyzed'.
Just some info, I am growing plants in pure lowland conditions, 30-32 C day, 24-28C night. media consist perlite, bark, charcoal, but largely cocochips.
Firstly, the case of immediately after arrival from oversaes, quite expected...but my case is with 2 BE-154 rafflesianas from BE. They have only produced one small leaf in the week after arrival, then go into 'paralyzed' mode and develop only a pitcher, not putting out leaves at all for 2months now.
Second case, fusca from BE also, arrives and is potted, grows wonderfully. Large increase in leaf size, nice pitcher coming out... after a month, I decide to up the light levels...maybe did it a bit too much, it seemed slightly scorched, but I decided it was tough enough to get used to it (it was only 2-3hrs daily of 50% filtered light!) But then I noticed it has stopped growing, goes into shock like the previously mentioned raff! And the developing pitcher continues growing, gives me a nice pitcher, but now the plant is paralyzed, stuck in a half-way emerging leaf position!?
confused.gif
(I know my LL conditions SHOULD be the cause, but I have grown some other HL /intermediate species and they do not react this way to LL, there is also another Singaporaen with the palnt and his plant is not in this kind of shock.)
Last case, least severe, plants are potted and they put out rather smallish leaves, havent been improving much after 3 leaves (raff diff clones)
Please give advice, many other plants arriving in same shipment doing very well, planted in mainly cocochips since this is the media I know BE uses, so the shock they undergo wont be too much.
Please help and advice, value all inputs,
thanks

Lam,may be it was due to the pecularity of TC. Seem the only way is to move to very shaded area, water and mist every now and then. One of my hookerianas suffered from acclaimatization with heat burn despite in slight shade.I moved it to completely shaded area and only see it shows new leaves growth after 5 weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rbjong @ Feb. 18 2006,5:37)]Lam,may be it was due to the pecularity of TC. Seem the only way is to move to very shaded area, water and mist every now and then. One of my hookerianas suffered from acclaimatization with heat burn despite in slight shade.I moved it to completely shaded area and only see it shows new leaves growth after 5 weeks.
Hi,
cant be TC runt, I know this is a clone and it has been around for many years. (BTW anyone has BE-88 or 154 pics?
smile.gif
)
Shade, ok, but are you certain that overexposure to light can CAUSE this paralyze/shock? I have never heard of it before...because the leaves dont change coloure, burnt or anything. No visible change in the plant, just... ...how to describe... acts like a plastic plant!
Please advice,
thanks

Back