What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paphs and phrags

• Thread starter monkeyman
  • Start date
I recently bought a Paph. hybrid and was wondering, what are the characteristic differences between Paphs and Phrags?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

I have just finished reading on the subject. Phals (tropical moths) send up long arching sprays of flowers, sometimes up to 20 or 30 blooms. They plike well drained soil with medium texture.

Paphs are related to the North American Lady Slipper. (I picked some as a child once for a present for my mother. She almost had a heart attack thinking about the fines)

Paphs are unique. They have a waxey pouch and tall top sepal. They like a deep, narrow plastic pot with a finer medium.

This is from Taylor's Guide to Orchids. I hope it helps.

Phragmipedium is one of the two the South American slipper orchid Genera. They are distinct in being succesive bloomers, flowers arent quite as substantial as a rule, but generally much more intense colors are seen. I could tell you more but Id rather suggest a book, The Slipper Orchids by Catherine Cash.
biggrin.gif

Back