What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paph in bud

This is my first Paph flower. I just picked it up last week from an Orchid society meeting. The tag says Paph. 'Hirst'. I did a search and nothing came up. Some lady there told me the flower is green. But looking at what's emerging, it looks purple
rock.gif
I sure hope its purple, I don't like green flowers too much. I love how fuzzy it is
laugh.gif
Can't wait till it opens!

fuzzy_paph_bud.jpg

Congratulations, Larry.

They are a beauty when they are in bloom.

Well, if you're lucky, maybe 'Hirst' will turn out as an abbreviation for hirsutissimum.

I'm awaiting my first Paph blooms as well (though it looks like my Phrag longifolium will open even before them!).

Even if it is green... all Paphs have nice flowers ;)

The really surprising thing is how few people grow Paphs. They are so easy to grow, and yet so beautiful in flower.

It does look similar to P. hirsutissimum

Nice fat bud, Larry.
smile.gif
I love the paphs. I have one in bud, one who's bud is just now popping. Hope to get some photos soon. Maybe I'll do that tonite.
Although I hate the watering chore,that is when I usually discover little spikes starting.
smile.gif

Well, it finally opened
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately, it isn't a hirsutissimum
sad.gif
But I still LOVE it. It's so beautiful! Any of you orchid experts have another guess? Here's some pics I took last night.

207purplepaph1.jpg

207purplepaph2.jpg

207purplepaph3.jpg

207purplepaph4.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Very nice Larry...its beautiful! I hope to photograph mine this weekend.

It must be a hybrid, with P. hirsutissimum or P. hirsutissimum var. esquirolei as a primary parent.
Please tell me !!
smile.gif

Ok, now I think it may be a hirsutissimum after all!
biggrin.gif
I thought that it wasn't because the flower didn't have the wavy petals. But two days after the flower opened, it started to develop the "waves"
wink.gif
I'll give it a few more days to fully develop, then I'll take some more pics.

Yup, Paphiopedilum hirsutissimum
biggrin.gif
Boy are you guys good at identifying! Here's some pics of it with the developed ruffles, so cute! Oh yeah, and I also like the angry face at the middle of the flower, kinda scary
laugh.gif

207hirsutissimum.jpg

207hirsutissimum2.jpg

Wow...what a nice paph Larry.
smile.gif
Lucky you.

Back